PDA

View Full Version : Bontebok

Andreas Liedmann
09-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Image taken in small but fine Bontebok NP in SA.

Canon EOS 1D MK II
EF 500 is L + 1,4 TC
beanbag

F6,3 / 1/800sec / ISO 200

Processed in RPP + PS

Hope you like it

Comments good or bad most welcome .

Cheers Andreas

Gerald Kelberg
09-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi Andreas,

Looks like a fine animal. I love the way you have captured the sheen on the coat - looks very beautiful - and then there are all those flies!!

I'm sure you know that the biggest issue here is the angle of the sun putting the shadow on the right side of the face (left as we look at it) - I think you might get away with it if the right eye were to be more visible.

Best wishes,

Gerald

Hilary Hann
09-27-2012, 08:28 PM
I would agree with Gerald in that you've captured a wonderful sheen and colour of the coat but that I do find the missing eye in the shadow lets it down a little. Very handsome antelope.

Rachel Hollander
09-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi Andreas - nice to see a bontebok and I like the rich colors but I agree with Gerald that the strong shadow is problematic. I'm presuming that changing your position wasn't possible. I also would prefer just a tad more room below.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
09-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Such a nice rich color on this animal and super detail in the horns. I actually like the strong shadowed side of the face, it provides a nice contrast to the other side.

gail bisson
09-28-2012, 05:39 AM
I agree with all of the comments above. Did you try dodging the right side of the face?
I love the sheen on his coat and the flies.
A really nice shot,
Gail

Stu Bowie
09-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Hi Andreas, good vertical comp to suit the pose, and overall nice and sharp. The light certainly has brought out the colours and sheen nicely.

Andreas Liedmann
09-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys, for your comments appreciate them all.

These guys are difficult to capture to get visible details allover, and if you have strong side light even more difficult.

I like the shot as is , contrast wise . If i open up or dodge the LHS of the Bok, i think i loose the natural looking of the image.Other option would be to open up the whole shadows, but then i would loose the high contrast effect , which i quite like. But i try and make a repost.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
09-29-2012, 04:06 AM
Hi Andreas, you have captured things well, good control of the whites in what appears to be harsh light, but the effect has illustrated the coat of this animal extremely well, giving that lovely sheen to it. Nice detail/texture in the horns and having the bugs to the LHS is a nice touch. I would agree that a slight opening up in the shadow area would help, but just a fraction just to give a little more form to the face, it does work. You might laso look at the Level and just perhaps tweak them either side, optional?:bg3:

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
09-29-2012, 12:22 PM
I tried and tried, and did not find a solution that fits my idea on this one.

Cheers Andreas