PDA

View Full Version : Dangling Bee

Bill Jobes
09-26-2012, 07:19 AM
I decided to experiment with the Nikon 300 2.8 as a macro instrument. Here I paired it with the Kenko 25mm extension tube and the D7000.

This was hand-held, no flash.

1/2000, F/3.5, +0.2 EV ISO 400.

In hindsight, I notice that DOF would have likely been improved if I'd stopped down. I was trying to get maximum shutter speed, as it was hand-held, without increasing the ISO.

Suggestions on the optimal F Stop under these conditions would be appreciated !

Jonathan Ashton
09-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Bill as a matter of generality it is a good idea to be thinking in terms of f8-11-16 for fairly close macro say in the region of 1:3 give or take. In this case I suspect f8 would have been fine, had you been able to angle a little more from the left I think you would have had very good DOF and possibly even f5.6 to f8 would have worked, as it is it is still pretty good. The thing to remember DOF is related to magnification not necessarily to the lens - f8 at 1:3 with any lens will give the same DOF.
You have good exposure and colours in the shot and it is a clean image. The only thing that I find negative is the bumble bee's rear end - just a little out of focus.

Steve Maxson
09-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi Bill. With the smooth black abdomen and black wings, this looks like it might be an Eastern Carpenter Bee (Xylocopa virginica). :S3: You have good comp and background and the bee is giving you a nice pose. The issue is DOF, as you've already noted - you have good sharpness within your DOF and the image is not "bad" as presented, but more depth would notably improve it. :S3: Jon has some good advice above for you to try next time in the field.

Bill Jobes
09-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks, Jonathan for the excellent advice on the F/Stop. I'll be trying that out as I head to the field.

And thank you, Steve, for the super comments ! I'm sure you are correct on the Carpenter Bee I.D. I appreciate that a lot, knowing I struggle with the Bumble/Carpenter (for me) conundrum !

Bob Miller
10-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Bill....good sharpnes and pose on that bee. I agree you could have used f8 and 1/500 sec for more dof

Bill Jobes
10-06-2012, 06:21 AM
Thanks, Bob.