View Full Version : Theme Juvie Common Tern

gail bisson
09-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Canon 1D MKIV
F 4.0 500mm
SS 1/800
ISO 800
f 7.1
Full frame ! Should I add some canvas, although I love it as is.
I like the little bit of fuzz above the beak.
I was in the water shooting towards the bank with tripod and waders.
Minimal PP- NR on BG, levels, reduced magenta by 1 in color balance and DE at 2% on bird only.
Is it sharp enough? The reason I ask is because I did not sharpen image after resizing it, as I felt it made the feathers lose their softness.
Comments and critiques always learned from and appreciated with thanks,
Gail

Karl Egressy
09-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Beautiful picture, Gail.
I just realized that I might not have ever seen a juvi around here, as I don't know any breeding colony around.
There was a big debate about lightening or leaving the eye dark as it is. Who won?
Your juvi has dark eye.

gail bisson
09-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Beautiful picture, Gail.
I just realized that I might not have ever seen a juvi around here, as I don't know any breeding colony around.
There was a big debate about lightening or leaving the eye dark as it is. Who won?
Your juvi has dark eye.

I didn't touch the eye.I don't think anybody "won" the debate as it comes down to personal taste!
ail

Randy Stout
09-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Gail:

I like the slightly softer rendition, as I feel the plumage fits the feel of the entire image.

Well exposed, nice BG, good pose.

Perhaps a sliver more room below and to the right for my tastes.

Cheers

Randy

Melissa Groo
09-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Lovely portrait of this juvie tern, Gail. Great walking pose, and nice soft light. Like Randy I wouldn't mind a sliver more room below. I would be curious to see how this looks sharpened up, but is also very nice as is. Maybe post a sharpened for comparison? Would be fun to see.

dankearl
09-24-2012, 08:57 PM
A fine looking and proud pose, Gail.
I would sharpen it just a tad and add a bit of contrast.
The comp and room around is fine.
Very attractive.

Satish Ranadive
09-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Gail:
Wonderful image.Beautiful composition with two tone BG. Just every thing is perfect in the image.

Regards,
Satish.

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-24-2012, 10:22 PM
I like it very much as is, but I would boost the contrast a bit and sharpen the eye selectively. Very special image and bird indeed. TFS

Mike Milicia
09-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Great pose and BG!

It does feel a bit tight at the bottom as is, especially with the relatively large amount of room on top.
If you don't want to add canvas, another option would be to take some off the top which will make it seem less tight at the bottom.

MohsenVahedipour
09-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Excellent low shooting angle, soft light & IQ. The composition is OK for my taste.

Robert Holguin
09-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Excellent shot. I really like the different tones of the background, excellent low angle, great pose, very nice light, and nice details.
Very well done.

Stu Bowie
09-25-2012, 12:03 AM
Hi Gail sweet pose and HA, and you pretty much nailed the exposure. Your low angle has worked out well, and agree a little more room right and bottom wont harm the image.

gail bisson
09-25-2012, 05:06 AM
Thank you all for the helpful comments1 Here is a repost with your suggestions. Added more room ~3% bottom and left and sharpened using USM at 11%.
Gail

Miguel Palaviccini
09-25-2012, 07:04 AM
Really like the repost. I think you achieved great balance between keeping the soft feathers and finessing out the details.

Shawn Zierman
09-25-2012, 12:31 PM
They are so sweet and beautiful at this age. Love the closeness and the details look great to my eye.
The repost rocks!

Melissa Groo
09-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Repost looks perfect, Gail!

Jim Crosswell
09-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Excellent image Gail. I think the repost is an improvement.