PDA

View Full Version : One cozy Ontario hummingbird

Jack Breakfast
09-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Greetings, fine people. Here is a r.t. hummingbird and which sort of a flower? Something from the salvia family? This picture, which was cropped from the original horizontal, was taken with a Canon 7D and 70-300L at 300mm, iso800, 1/3200, 5.6. Taken at a park in Toronto's east end. On this particular afternoon two female hummingbirds were quite active. They were bumping into each other and so forth. I'll be happy to hear your comments and suggestions. Many thanks for your consideration.

Sam Chaplin
09-24-2012, 09:34 AM
This is a superb shot,jack.You managed to get this fast bird with just 70-300mm is very commendable.The subject is well lit ( any flash?) and exposed.Beautiful BG to compliment the subject.WELL DONE.

Katharina Reddig
09-24-2012, 10:02 AM
This is a stunning image. Beautiful exposed, nice colors and background. If it was mine I would try a square crop and loose some of the empty space on top.

Daniel Cadieux
09-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Ooh, very nice Jack. Sharp, and I like the bit of wing blur. Beautiful flowers, and the green BG complements them well. The best part id the flower touching the forehead, very cool. Too bad the OOF stem was there, and I agree with Katharina about taking some off the top. A bit more NR to the BG would not hurt. Overall quite pleasing!!

Stu Bowie
09-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi Jack, great work getting this fellow nice and sharp, and well timed to capture the feeding moment. Comp wise, I would go for a more landscape as per my repost. Also removed some of the OOF plant. I added a bit to the left, but Im sure you could play with your original. Just a thought. :w3

Karl Egressy
09-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Beutiful picture, Jack. Bot crops are good; yours and Stuart's.

gail bisson
09-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Well well well Jack, you are slowly coming over to the BPN side...:S3:
Great clean BG, lovely flower ( would get rid of OOF flower though.) Good IQ and light and POV.
You did good my friend!!
I like Stuarts' repost and yours with a bit off the top,
Gail

Raul Padilla
09-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Good picture Jack, i agreed with the Stuartīs cut, too much room make the beauty tiny

Melissa Groo
09-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Super image, Jack. Love the green with the purple, and that you have really captured the hummer so deep in the flower. I like both comps.

Jack Breakfast
09-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Many thanks for the encouraging comments. Gail's post was my favorite. Coming over to the BPN side, eh? Stuart, I like your repost but seeing as the pure green b.g. is a novelty for me, I'm going to stick with it! I have some other shots from the day that are far less clean as well that feature fun out-of-focus flies and so forth. No flash was used, to answer the question asked. I've never used a flash, not yet anyhow. I don't really mind the o.o.f. flower but I suppose you're quite right, the photo's better without it. Again, thanks folks, I certainly appreciate your time and energies...

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Very lovely species, TFS.
I am loving the sweet clean BG, pose and flower. I also like stuartīs repost, it makes a lot of sense and makes for a very pleasing composition.

Robert Holguin
09-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Wonderful shot Jack. I really like the background and the wing blur. I really like where you captured the hummer, sharp, and I personally like Stuart's repost. Either way....
Well done.

Satish Ranadive
09-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Marvelous image.Beautiful bird,flowers and BG. Love it.
I like the composition by Stuart Sir.

Regards,
Satish.