PDA

View Full Version : A young Cow elk in the Woods.

dankearl
09-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Jasper, Canada.
I have a lot of Bull elk photos that I took while there.
This though, is my favorite Elk Photo, a coy young cow elk.

1/1000, f5.6, 300 f2.8, iso1250, D800, HH

DSC_2392bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=118763&stc=1&d=1348445857)

Gerald Kelberg
09-24-2012, 04:16 AM
Hi Dan,

She certainly is very pretty, and probably has good reason to be coy at the moment - with the Bulls getting all excited. I like the alert inquisitive look and the head turn pose. I can see why you like it!

Nicely processed, with nice detail, rich colours. I have a number of shots from my stag shoot that you commented on, where the feet are not visible and there is no space for 'virtual feet' - as with this image. So, I will be interested to see the response from others here.

Thanks and best,

Gerald

Jamie Douglas
09-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Sounds like you had a fruitful trip Dan. Nice setting but shame the frame wasn't big enough to capture the hoofs. Could also tone down the contrast just a tad IMO.

I am sure you have more to post so looking forward to seeing them.

Jamie

Rachel Hollander
09-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Dan - nice pose and good sharpness. I like the way she's sort of framed by the brush. I do wish you had more room below rather than cutting off the feet.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Hi Dan, nice looking subject, the rich saturation works for me and there is good detail too.

I do feel however that the image as is, falls into the middle of two camps, as it's neither one nor the other as you have used a fixed lens. What I mean is, that it's a little too tight for a wider POV, yet too wide (unless heavily cropped) for a tighter view. If the IQ allows I would go for the later, and also avoiding the tree trunk in the LH corner. Perhaps this might have been one of those times when adding the 1.4 might have helped? The image as viewed I though had a slight magenta to the tree, however when viewing in PS it's not the case and much prefer the PS version. Look forward to seeing the Bull Elks soon.

TFS
Steve