PDA

View Full Version : Space to Think

Morkel Erasmus
09-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Carrying on with my monochrome series...
High key Kalahari lion on a sand dune.
All thoughts most welcome...
:bg3:

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II + 1.4xTC @ 700mm
f5.6 @ 1/500 SS @ ISO-800
EV +0.7

dankearl
09-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Another worthy effort in B & W processing, Morkel.
I like the comp a lot, I think is a tad bright though, a bit darker would look nice for me.

Morkel Erasmus
09-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Thanks Dan.

I think is a tad bright though

Hence I said "high key lion" :w3

Steve Kaluski
09-24-2012, 05:48 AM
Hi Morkel, I do like the space all around and position of the subject, however I'm with Dan, I would expect this to be far higher in contrast between the Black & Whites, hence High Key. Having the midtones for me, gives the impression more of a B/W image rather than a contrasty one. I also feel the darker BKG bush competes with the subject, lightening this I feel brings more focus to the subject IMHO.

Just my take. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
09-24-2012, 06:29 AM
however I'm with Dan, I would expect this to be far higher in contrast between the Black & Whites, hence High Key. Having the midtones for me, gives the impression more of a B/W image rather than a contrasty one. I also feel the darker BKG bush competes with the subject, lightening this I feel brings more focus to the subject IMHO.

That's not how I understood Dan's comment :e3 as he was commenting on it being 'too bright'.
But what you're saying makes sense.
In this repost I dodged the highlights some more (particularly the sky) and also dodge the shadows on the bush.
WDYT?

Steve Kaluski
09-24-2012, 07:29 AM
he was commenting on it being 'too bright'. Indeed, sorry for that, rushing too much. :w3

It depends on what you are trying to achieve here I think Morkel, wethers it's very contrasting tones, or something that has a bit of everything. I know this has probably gone a little too much the other way, but I feel if it's High Key, then this is more 'in keeping' with that route I think? Certainly toning down the BKG bushes is an improvement I feel, however I wonder if again, it's a compromise between the two. Be interested to know your thoughts & direction. :S3:

Andreas Liedmann
09-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Hi Morkel,
interesting composition with a lot of space.Like the placement of the lion in the frame, quite nice.
Usual IQ, but think it is not really High key , from my POV there should be less mid tones than presented.But the biggest issue are the OOF bushes and dunes ,i find they are a bit distracting for me.Think they are not giving anything to the image.
On the other hand ,they BG could be then quite empty.So actually i am not sure about them.

I think overall, it is not my cuppa...: Sorry Morkel.

But always interesting what are you are trying out.
So,keep going.
TFS Andreas

Steve Uffman
09-24-2012, 06:28 PM
OP wins for me......on my NEC Multisynch in a dark room, the background does not come across too bright...and lion is IMO regally overlooking his kingdom...too me the rear right distant foliage seems to add a sense of height and dimension.....without it the King seems to be sitting on a bump (less regal) rather than atop a tall hill (more regal)....(maybe its my time in Lewa where such hills and backdrop are not uncommon)

Of course I see the image as more emotive this way so what is distracting to some only adds interest to me...

Rachel Hollander
09-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Morkel - I like the wide open space but I too find myself wishing that the oof foliage beyond the ridge was not there (and I know you don't like to clone). Also there's a halo along the lion's back. This is one that just isn't working for me as well as the others in your series. I would love to see it in color though.

TFS,
Rachel

Jamie Douglas
09-24-2012, 06:35 PM
From following the thread and looking at the reposts Morke, I would be swayed to try something in between your repost and steve's. The brightness of your respost looks better IMHO but it needs a bit of punch in the shadow areas to make the lion really pop.

Jamie

Morkel Erasmus
09-25-2012, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Incidentally, I love the OOF foliage behind him as it gives context for the setting in the dunes and is a typical Kalahari shrub. But then, I was there :e3.

Also there's a halo along the lion's back

Sorry, Rachel - not seeing it, at high res or BPN res? :Whoa!:

Morkel Erasmus
09-25-2012, 01:45 AM
From following the thread and looking at the reposts Morke, I would be swayed to try something in between your repost and steve's.

thanks Jamie - I agree, will try tonight...

Rachel Hollander
09-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Morkel - I see it in each of the images, it's a white line along the back in each of the images.

Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
09-25-2012, 08:34 AM
mmhmm...I thought you were talking about a big halo around the lion :e3
I'm pretty sure that's a lighting effect - will view on the NEF file and revert :w3

Dumay de Boulle
09-27-2012, 01:33 PM
I like your first repost...I like it in colors and I like it in B&W>>>Nice one mate!