PDA

View Full Version : First Light at Otter Cliffs

Rachel Hollander
09-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Taken in June at Acadia National Park in Maine. Unfortunately, the only morning I was there, there was too much cloud cover to get the warm shafts of light hitting the cliffs.

Canon 7D
16-35 II @ 17mm
1.3 seconds
f22
ISO 100
Tripod, remote release, 2 stop GND, levels, curves, LCE, selective burning, dodging and color adjustments, sharpened in CS5 and Hougaard Malan action applied.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Don Railton
09-26-2012, 11:28 PM
Hi Rachel

Its a pity you did not get the light you wanted here because I feel this image needs that light to lift it somewhat. Sorry, but for me it lacks a bit of 'pop' even though you processing seems to have covered the things I would have tried. As it is I think it will look a little better balanced with a slight crop off the bottom also as the lighter foreground rocks hold my eye too much. I looks like a tricky spot to use a tripod..!

regards

DON

Dave Mills
09-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Hi Rachel, Not only a tricky spot to use a tripod but walking over those round stones is no fun. I like the well balanced composition but the magic in this place is the 5-10 minutes of early golden light. The image has lost the impact without the early light and looks flat...

Rachel Hollander
09-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks Don and Dave, unfortunately that early golden light just did not happen that day.

Jerry van Dijk
09-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Hi Rachel, despite the light I very much like how you composed this. With the two diagonals from the trees and the different color rocks it almost seems like the image is completely built out of triangles. The texture of the boulders is interesting enough to hold my attention. You could try to open up the shadows on the trees and rocks in the BG a little, just to get a better balance with the light FG and maybe get a little more color in the image.
Acadia is a magic place, isn't it?

Rachel Hollander
09-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Thanks Jerry, much appreciated.

Grady Weed
10-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Hi Rachel, Not only a tricky spot to use a tripod but walking over those round stones is no fun. I like the well balanced composition but the magic in this place is the 5-10 minutes of early golden light. The image has lost the impact without the early light and looks flat...

Hey Rachel, Dave hit this one. My thoughts as well. good effort however.