Melissa Groo
09-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Canon 1d4
500mm
Gitzo/Wimberley

ISO 800
1/5000 sec
f/4.0

From a few months ago in Fort Myers, Florida. Went shooting with friends Marina Scarr, Bob Blanchard and Mary Goetzinger. We found a few females hunting apple snails in a canal. I liked the wing position on this lift-off.
Some crop, lightened some dark areas in background, sharpening, NR.
Thank you in advance for any comments/critiques.

Randy Stout
09-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Melissa:

Nice take off pose, like the dangling feet, dappled background. I would consider moving the bird a bit left in the frame, adding a bit of canvas to the right side.

In a perfect world, would prefer a bit more separation of the bill from the wing.

Look forward to more from this series.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
09-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Sweet light, dangling feet, and BKGR. In an ideal world, I'd wish for the bird to be well away from the bush. It looks as if the plane of critically sharp focus is a bit past the head.....

Melissa Groo
09-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Both very good critiques. Yes, Randy, the bill had bothered me too a bit, but then forgot to mention it. And yes, Artie, great catch on the point of focus. And the bush being well behind--yes, preferable. If only I lived in an ideal world--but then, each honest and thorough critiquing on my images gets me closer to that ideal world, inch by inch. Thank you both.

Arthur Morris
09-22-2012, 07:55 PM
You are most welcome Melissa. I am wishing only that more folks would comment on the images even if they might miss some of the finer points. More eyes and comments is always a good thing. So many views, so few comments :).

Marina Scarr
09-22-2012, 08:19 PM
What a great morning this was. The BG is simply gorgeous, and I like those dangling feet. The comp works for me. Wish the head were sharper but I would have worked this one up anyway too.

dankearl
09-22-2012, 11:05 PM
I think this is a "just miss", Melissa.
Nice light, BG and a split second later you would have separation.

Satish Ranadive
09-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Melissa,
Great take off pose.I like the symmetrical wing position,head turn and lights and beautiful background.

Regards,
Satish.

Peter Dexter
09-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Terrific capture of lift off. I like the light and composition. Don't know if it's my screen but back ground seems just a tad noisey.

Arno Ellmer
09-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Good comments from others.Great capture,Melissa.I like the ideal HA and the outstretched wing position.

Robert Holguin
09-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Wonderful shot. I like the hanging feet, great wing position, great background, and great head angle.
Well done.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-23-2012, 08:45 PM
great capture! But I agree, "in and ideal world", it would have been nice to have the branches not intersect the wings, or the beak not intersect the body. But when you get comments like these, it means that you are doing everything technically correct. So when the "ideal moment" does present itself, you'll be ready to capture it!

Nico Steenberg
09-24-2012, 02:52 AM
Well timed shot and bg with good eye contact. Well captured !

arash_hazeghi
09-24-2012, 03:17 AM
excellent take off Melissa, I would sharpen the kite a bit more

Melissa Groo
09-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Thank you kindly for all the helpful feedback.