PDA

View Full Version : September 22 - World Rhino Day

Rachel Hollander
09-21-2012, 06:44 PM
I know I'm a little early in the U.S. but I thought it was worth reminding everyone that September 22 is World Rhino Day. So as we did last year, let's post rhino shots if we have them and hope that the senseless poaching will stop. It would be nice if people can continue to see rhinos in the wild long into the future. For obvious reasons, let's not be too specific about where the images were taken.

One of a white rhino from my recent trip to Africa. I posted a tighter view a couple of weeks ago but promised to post the wider view, so here it is.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 135mm
1/800
f9
ISO 800
EC +.67
HH from safari vehicle, levels, curves, selective burning and dodging, color adjustments, slight crop for comp and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
09-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Thanks for this, Rachel. Never too early to cause a buzz :w3
I like this more than the other one you posted, for the space around :5
Good detail and tones throughout...perhaps just tone down grass brightness a tad?

Andreas Liedmann
09-22-2012, 06:10 AM
Hi rachel better than the last post of this rhino, with more space around.
I would work a bit more on the overall tonality , looks a bit flat color wise .The grass i think is tad too bright, so a tweak in the mid tones adding more contrast to the surrounding and the lighter parts of the rhino, could be an improvement, from my POV.

The detail and the contrast in the darker parts of the rhino are really good, likewise the colors basically.

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
09-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Hi Rachel, I much prefer this one to the previous posting, there is just the right amount of space for the subject and nicely framed.

Having looked at the image and without reading Andreas's comments I think he is about spot on. Rather than another RP I pop one across for an example, you then can decide perhaps on the direction you wish to go.

TFS
Steve

dankearl
09-22-2012, 01:11 PM
I think the color and exposure looks, a bit more above would look nice for me.
Thanks for remembering the day!

Dumay de Boulle
09-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Lovely textures and the colors look perfect. Magnificent creature well captured.

Rachel Hollander
09-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions, much appreciated.

Rachel