PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly in Flight, Tanzania

Roger Clark
09-21-2012, 10:28 AM
First post in this forum.

Well, after some success with small erratic bids in flight, I thought I would try for something harder: butterflies in flight. (Yep, they are harder.)

A butterfly approaches a flower in Lake Manyara National Park, Tanzania.

Canon 1D Mark IV, 300 mm f/2.8 L IS lens with 1.4x TC, working at 420 mm, f/4.0, ISO 400, 1/6400 second exposure. Exposure Program: Manual. Crop to 9 megapixels.

If anyone knows what kind of butterfly this is, please let me know. I don't know that the name of the flower is either.

Roger

Jonathan Ashton
09-21-2012, 10:44 AM
What a first post! I know how hard it is to get a butterfly in flight and you certainly nailed this one. I like the fine veination in the wings and the protruding proboscis. I may be tempted to suggest a tad more sharpening on the butterfly but only a tad. This is one of the relatively few occasions I think the black background works. I do not mind the OOF flower head bottom right, I obviously see it, but my eye is continually drawn to the butterfly. A really super shot.

Dave Leroy
09-21-2012, 07:33 PM
What a dandy shot. I especially like the nice camera position relative to the butterfly, just slightly in front with 'fly nice and square to camera. Good for you. My preference would be to crop it tighter on bottom to remove the OOF flower head. Great stuff and looking forward to more.

christopher galeski
09-23-2012, 06:29 AM
thats one magic image,like the black BG,like everthing about it.well done.

Steve Uffman
09-23-2012, 06:31 AM
Roger, I saw this on your website and knew it had to be a matter of time before you posted it..Really love everything about the image....not one that would normally be associated with an African Safari!

Steve Maxson
09-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Hi Roger. Good to see you here in Macro - and I agree that butterflies-in-flight are harder to capture than birds-in-flight. :S3: You nailed this one with excellent wing position and sharpness. The extended proboscis takes this up yet another notch. The butterfly contrasts well with the dark background and I like that the background isn't totally black. Excellent work! :cheers:

Roger Clark
09-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks, everyone,

The background was shade with other bushes. I did try some other positions not with the shade, but didn't like the out of focus bright cluttered background that leaves in sun give. I don't really like the out of focus flower at the bottom, but am unsure were to crop as then one cuts off the leaves. Perhaps just dodge the OOF darker? (I don't remove things, but will dodge and burn.)

Roger

Tim King
11-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Just beautiful. Perfectly timed. Would run a noise filter on the BG. Fine job otherwise.