PDA

View Full Version : Carrion crow

Jonathan Ashton
09-21-2012, 04:54 AM
Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 L IS ISO 800 1/1250 sec f6.3, image taken from car, I was on the "wrong side" of the car so I used the crook of my friend's left arm acting as cradle for the lens.

We had a pretty unsuccessful day trying to get images of water birds and waders, on the way back home I noticed this crow on some freshly dug ground so we drew up slowly and much to my surprise the crow obliged whilst we took his portrait.
All comments welcome.

gail bisson
09-21-2012, 05:43 AM
Hi Jonathan,
Great details in the blacks and lovely BG. I like the ruffled, fluffed up feathers.
Is there a bit of a magenta cast in the dirt?
Gail

Jonathan Ashton
09-21-2012, 05:59 AM
Hi Jonathan,
Great details in the blacks and lovely BG. I like the ruffled, fluffed up feathers.
Is there a bit of a magenta cast in the dirt?
Gail
Gail you raise an interesting point. When I posted I didn't notice one, when you mentioned it I thought I saw it, I have returned to the image and the ambient light has changed and now I don't see it. It will be interesting to see if other people think there is a cast. There may be a slight reddish colour becasue there is a lot of sandstone in this area and it was taken in a filed near to the beach.

Daniel Cadieux
09-21-2012, 09:08 AM
I like the ruffled feathers and the exposure on the blacks, which had been made easier by the overcast light. Nice BG, although I'd be tempted to tone down (but not fully eliminate) the dark spot in front of the bill. I'd also have preferred ahd you pointed your lens an inch or two lower to get more of the dirt perch.

P.S. No magenta cast from here.

Jonathan Ashton
09-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks Dan, I think I have a little space lower - will take a look see, my apologies for not correcting the spelling in previous post - old age - I am a year older today!!

Robert Holguin
09-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Very nice shot. Great pose with ruffled up feathers, wonderful background, and great details.
Well done.

Satish Ranadive
09-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Jonathan,
Magnificent image.Love the great details in blacks.feathers,perch and nice BG.

Regards,
Satish.

Nico Steenberg
09-24-2012, 03:25 AM
Well exposed detail and soft light. A super shot !