PDA

View Full Version : Black-crowned night Heron.

Karl Egressy
09-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Here is an other shot of one of the juvies.
It was very late and not much light was available.
I had to leave the tripod behind and shoot from hand as it was a pretty rough spot.
I used ISO 1600 and higher shutter to compensate for the hand holding technics.
Thanks for looking.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/500
Av 5.6
ISO 1600
EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x

Diane Miller
09-20-2012, 06:28 PM
WOW! This bird pops out from the background! Incredible sharpness for hand holding 1/500 sec at that magnification.

Would it be against your principles to burn down the brightest browns in the background, just a little? The roots on the left fight with the bird for my attention, but they are beautiful, and the off-center composition is wonderful, so I wouldn't want to crop. Nik's Viveza (using control points) can be magic for toning down areas like that.

The image also feels tilted to the left. But it is spectacular!

Randy Stout
09-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Karl:

The eyes are amazing here. Diane makes some good points. Yes, needs CCW rotation, and I would also consider toning down the area above and left of the bird.

Did I mention, I love those eyes?

Cheers

Randy

Karl Egressy
09-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Thank you Diana, thank you Randy.

I did everything you suggested except rotation as I don't really feel as to how much rotation would be right.

Don Nelson
09-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Karl

If it were mine, I'd desaturate the blue/cyan in the bird's feathers (caused by the sky providing illumination).
quick repost for example:

Diane Miller
09-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Pulling your image into Photoshop and using the Ruler tool on what looks like "horizontal" ridges in the pond scum, I get about 2.2 degrees. When objects such as a water line have perspective factors (a bank slanting away from you) there often is no right or wrong -- the camera may be level but things look off. I just go by what feels right.

Karl Egressy
09-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Pulling your image into Photoshop and using the Ruler tool on what looks like "horizontal" ridges in the pond scum, I get about 2.2 degrees. When objects such as a water line have perspective factors (a bank slanting away from you) there often is no right or wrong -- the camera may be level but things look off. I just go by what feels right.
Thanks Diana, good point.

Karl Egressy
09-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Karl

If it were mine, I'd desaturate the blue/cyan in the bird's feathers (caused by the sky providing illumination).
quick repost for example:

Hi Don,

Thanks for your comment and work.
I already got rid of the blue cast to a point where I felt I had to stop.
Going further as you did just makes the picture look flat IMO.
You need a little bit of blue cast on the bird to represent the light of the scene at that very late time of the day.

dankearl
09-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Cool, shot, Karl. it is really in your face, a great POV.
Don's repost is very nice.

Stu Bowie
09-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Hi Karl, now this perspective really rocks - great low angle and love the eye contact with those large eyes. Your repost in pane #8 looks the best, if you could correct the rotation. :w3

Daniel Cadieux
09-21-2012, 10:00 AM
High impact image!! Great low angle and focus on the eye. I prefer the blue cast gone as per Don's post, and Diane has given you good thoughts on rotation. Great stuff Karl!

Robert Holguin
09-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Wow!!!! Stunning image. The clarity in the eyes and the stare are amazing. Love the habitat and great comp.
Very well done.

Satish Ranadive
09-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Karl,
Excellent image of Heron in environment.What I liked more is 3D effect created by two roots;one in focus plus FG, second in slight OOF and background.
Love the eyes.Nice discussion on the subject.

Regards,
Satish.