PDA

View Full Version : Into the Storm

Morkel Erasmus
09-19-2012, 06:50 AM
I dug this up over the weekend from a roadtrip 2 years ago.

It's a 3-image pano-stitch of portrait landscape oriented images, to create a "vertorama". We were driving into this storm on a particularly emotionally stormy day in our lives. We made it through on both counts.

I actually like it more in monochrome - but will post that tomorrow and you can decide for yourself :t3

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS @ 34mm
f8.0 @ 1/80 SS @ ISO-200

Kevin Giannini
09-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Hello Morkel - Beautiful image and light. The light against the stormy appearing clouds are what make this for me. I do love the color in the image, so I'll be anxious to see how I like your B & W of this. This must be a pretty huge file. Not sure what's on either side of the image shown, but I might prefer a more horizontal crop rather than a square crop for this. Of course, you wouldn't want to crop anything out of this, but perhaps add to it if you had anything. You caught the right moment!
Regards,
Kevin

Norm Dulak
09-19-2012, 02:40 PM
I like this, Morkel.

The warm countryside and the angry sky above are impressive. And that road in the foreground leads the eye into the welcoming countryside.

But if you think it is better in monochrome, I'm anxious to see it.

Norm

Morkel Erasmus
09-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys. Will post the monochrome tomorrow.
For now - here's a repost with slight crop from the bottom and with some more dodging/burning applied to the sky and trees.

Katharina Reddig
09-20-2012, 01:24 PM
I had a look at both versions. Color and B/W, but I prefer this one. After all the amazing colors are essential part of amazing landscapes. When looking at the OP I thought of cropping a little bit of the road and darkening the sky. Happy to see that you did just that in RP.:S3: I am tempted to clone out the untidy road markings.

Rachel Hollander
09-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Hi Morkel - I've looked at all 3 versions and prefer your repost here. It's a dramatic scene with the shadows and light. I like the road as a leading line. I'm wondering if it is oversharpened just a bit as at that ISO there shouldn't be any noise but the clouds and the road in particular have a slightly grainy appearance.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
09-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Thank you Katharina and Rachel.
Perhaps just the old camera giving the grain as I certainly didn't add any - not sure now if I brought back shadow detail too much and this could've caused it :e3