PDA

View Full Version : Wild Turkey

Bruce Gove
04-22-2008, 12:44 PM
I got this turkey call from a friend, and I stopped my truck last eve on the side of the road - all i had going for me was the sun was in the right place and I'd seen turkeys in a nearby vineyard to the west.. My camera was in the in-bed trunk and I start scraping away on this call. To my amazement, toms began to answer and come closer. I scrambled to get my camera out of the back and climbed into the passenger seat. Being in evaluataive mode I figured filtered sun, and added 2/3 stops of light - never thought about opening up for the dark bird!:cool: Fortunately I was able to adj the exposure in LR to where I got a pretty decent image I think. Once again - lessons learned :)

Bruce

MKIII - EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6 ISO 400 EV +2/3

1/320 @ f/5.6

Nonda Surratt
04-22-2008, 01:09 PM
COOL! I would be tempted to add some canvas on the right side and you lost a bit of detail on the back.. Still super cool image!

Alfred Forns
04-22-2008, 02:04 PM
It is a cool image and how you got it !!!!

Your basic exposure was not bad at all Good solid thinking !!! Agree with Nonda and would add canvas on the right !!! In LR remember to use the clarity slider It will adjust the mid tone contrast !!! I like the image a lot !!!!

Harold Davis
04-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Wow, Bruce!! that's a good looking gobbler. agree with the others about adding a little canvas to the right. other than that, fantastic!!

Bruce Gove
04-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Here's the original non-cropped, horizontal..Once again I chose the vertical crop

Bruce

Bruce Gove
04-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all the looks and critiques. I posted the original non-cropped image - I had originally thought that the verticle crop looked better. The loss of detail on the back was evident immediately when opened in LR, but so was the over exposed head and neck. at this point I felt impelled to get rid of the blown out areas. If I would have compensated in the other direction (subtracted 1/3 stop or so) when I made the image, there would have been no loss of detail. It was a satisfying experience though, as I actually used my head this time! Thanks Alfred :)

Julie Kenward
04-22-2008, 08:09 PM
What a beautiful tom you caught! I agree with what the others said about canvas on the right but wanted to add that the front body feathers are really stunning - great job for such a quickfire response!

Alfred Forns
04-22-2008, 08:55 PM
What a wonderful bird !!! Sure looks nice in the original Cropping wise not much to do I would have had a sensory overload !!!!!!

Gus Cobos
04-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Mr. Turkey looks mighty fine, nice details and colors...like the repost with the added canvas:D

Nonda Surratt
04-23-2008, 06:59 AM
Just dandy not cropped!!!! Wonderful

Bruce Gove
04-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks All - I learned a lot making this image. I have a tendency towards verticle cropping. This is twice now that I've posted a cropped verticle when most everyone favored the uncropped horizontal original!

Regrds to all and thanks again..

Bruce

Oscar Zangroniz
04-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Agree with the rest, like the original better. Very nicely composed.

Sid Overbey
04-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Bruce, I agree with everyone's comments. The second picture captures him really well. I am a sucker for wild turkeys and you have a great shot.