PDA

View Full Version : The good old Warthog!

Steve Kaluski
09-17-2012, 07:25 AM
I would have preferred a lower POV to this shot, as per a comment I made to Sanjeev's shot, however as soon as the passenger door opened Mr Warthog was more alert and so avoiding any more disturbance to him and the rest of his foraging family I chose to shoot from the footwell, not ideal. Taken mid morning so not ideal light and one small water highlight reflection removed in the BKG. The more you watch these characters the more you realise they are good fun, love the way they forage on their elbows.

Steve
Subject: Southern Warthog head on (Phacochoerus africanus)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 500f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/640s at f/5.6 ISO200 0 stop compensation
Crop: Slight crop (original capture vertical)
Subject distance: 15m

Rachel Hollander
09-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Hi Steve - pov looks good to me and this has your usual excellent detail. The mud on the face adds a lot. I would get rid of the one bright specular highlight to the right of the leg.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
09-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi Steve,
usaul IQ as always.Like the POV , good enough for me.Quite good handling of the backlighting ,love the details you are able to get out of your images.
Framing is nice with a lovely mud covered snout ? Colors look spot on.

Maybe toning down the lighter parts of the image on the top, find it a tad distracting.

Good one Steve.
TFS Andreas

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
09-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Hi Steve,
I like the shot as presented. Maybe a tad lower would have been better. The HA is great and you caught it facing the camera nicely.
Cheers,
Sanjeev

Andrew Merwin
09-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Wow, Steve. Great detail & excellent techs. I agree with Rachel re. the specular high light next to his left leg. The muddy face is something only a mother could love. I like that it is on its knees. TFS.

Morkel Erasmus
09-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Great perspective and detail here in tough light, Steve.
Colours look good too. I agree with Andreas on the bright spots in the BG, though it looks like they've been toned down somewhat already? :t3
Africa is so full of characters, gotta loveit...

Dumay de Boulle
09-18-2012, 05:21 AM
Thats your usual high IQ, nice one. Great pose and love the head and shooting angle!

Marina Scarr
09-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Great details in this capture, Steve. This guy sure has a lot of character and I like the mud on part of his snout. Agree on that one highlight since you've already removed others but frankly I wouldn't have noticed it had it not been mentioned above.

dankearl
09-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Awesome creature! I agree about the POV being a bit high, but it does have a lot of character.
I would also get rid of the specular highlights.

Gen Benjamin
09-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Love the mud on the face, I feel it adds much to the image. He looks like one mean hombre and I also would do nothing to disturb him
Gen