PDA

View Full Version : sprinbook

Giovanni Frescura
09-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Hello
I have a lot of this type of shoots (and this isn't the best)..but I would like make for all the same workflow.
So I will be happy to receive your notice about the colour and the settig for go on..
Thanks a lot
Canon 7D
Canon 70/200 f.4
iso 800
1/3200 f.4

Steve Kaluski
09-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Hi Giovanni, I will let others comment on colour as I'm away and the laptop is not ideal for colour!

The image looks quite noisey/grainy, especially more noticeable in the BKG, so running some NR would be good. Can I ask, why f/4 as you had plenty of SS, so you could have dropped the ISO, but certainly I would have looked at more DOF. I like the composition with the sparring bucks and the one grazing in the BKG, the dust being churned up adds to the conflict/battle between the two. I might look at adding some more Mid tone, plus perhaps some more USM to the subjects. Hopefully others will chime in too re colour.

TFS
Steve

Diane Miller
09-17-2012, 08:05 AM
You caught a wonderful moment! It's a little warm, with a gold color cast, on my calibrated monitor. That's pleasant and not too unrealistic for early or late day sun coming through dust, but I always like to play with the color balance in the raw converter just to get an idea -- it's difficult to judge an individual image as our eyes can compensate so much for a color cast.

It really pays to calibrate and profile your monitor, although sometimes with laptops its not successful. And in looking at images on the web, using a color-managed browser is important. They are all improving, slowly. In what I have read recently, Safari is said to be the second best, with Firefox the best for including management of untagged images. But you have to make a simple setting to enable it.

Giovanni Frescura
09-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Hello
thanks for your reply.
I ask your pardon for my bad english so could be possible I read wrong your reply...
The lens is 70/200 f.4 , the game was very fast and I need speed ...and for this reason the iso were hight (normally with 1D mark Iv no proble...but this lens was on the other camera 7D....
Thwere was a lot of dust and it do more noise...I am afraid to use too much Nr be4cause sometime I lose detail...and I would like the idea of the dust.
How you would like more Mid tone (by a filter...?) What means USM..and how?
When you write "Hopefully others will chime in too re colour" what you means ?
Thanks for your patience
Ciao
Gio

Hi Giovanni, I will let others comment on colour as I'm away and the laptop is not ideal for colour!

The image looks quite noisey/grainy, especially more noticeable in the BKG, so running some NR would be good. Can I ask, why f/4 as you had plenty of SS, so you could have dropped the ISO, but certainly I would have looked at more DOF. I like the composition with the sparring bucks and the one grazing in the BKG, the dust being churned up adds to the conflict/battle between the two. I might look at adding some more Mid tone, plus perhaps some more USM to the subjects. Hopefully others will chime in too re colour.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
09-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi Giovani,
my take on the is nice Springbok image, taken in Kalahari ? If so i think the colors are a bit more on the red side depending on the season, we should wait for Morkel .
Added contrast and reduced the noise plus some sharpening on the bockies.

WDYT ?
TFS Andreas

Giovanni Frescura
09-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Hello Andreas
Yes it was in Kalahary a month ago.
Do you think could better plus saturation (I no made it but I used Color efex) or change temperature in Raw conversion ?
What are bockies ?

Hi Giovani,
my take on the is nice Springbok image, taken in Kalahari ? If so i think the colors are a bit more on the red side depending on the season, we should wait for Morkel .
Added contrast and reduced the noise plus some sharpening on the bockies.

WDYT ?
TFS Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
09-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Hi Giovani,
would change temperature at first in the raw converter.
Later in PS change for taste the saturation, my take in Workflow.

The people in south Africa call the springbok sometimes "bockies".

Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
09-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Love the light, mood and action with the dust here Giovanni. The Kalahari is a special place indeed.
Did you underexpose this in-camera, and have to bring it back up in processing? The amount of grain looks to be a lot even for a 7D and especially at ISO-800...:e3
I like what Andreas did to the contrast of the springboks but it looks a bit red for the conditions you would have had here...more yellow is better for my tastes :bg3:

Giovanni Frescura
09-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Kalahari is a fantastic place! No necessary find cats ...al the game is the best...and the light is particular!
I made a new workflow; is it better ?
Thanks

Marina Scarr
09-21-2012, 01:45 PM
I am not seeing too much of a difference between your original and repost. I think Andreas' repost works better. The biggest difference for me in the two is that Andreas' subjects are sharper and have more details. I would keep on working on this one b/c it's a nice capture with great action.

Giovanni Frescura
09-21-2012, 04:21 PM
I am not seeing too much of a difference between your original and repost. I think Andreas' repost works better. The biggest difference for me in the two is that Andreas' subjects are sharper and have more details. I would keep on working on this one b/c it's a nice capture with great action.
Thanks Marina.
I will try again ; I have other shoots to try better.; if you will try more...no roblem if you nedd raw..