PDA

View Full Version : Elephant seal bulls

Andreas Liedmann
09-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Image taken of this two guys , at Californian coast somewhere .
Quite difficult on a beach full of seals , to find some interesting subjects.

Canon EOS 1D MK IIN
EF 500 IS L
Tripod

F 5,6 / 1/250sec / ISO 400 ; could have been better .

Processed in RPP + PS ; canvas extension on top; cropped to 75% of FF

Hope you like it

C&C as always welcome

Cheers Andreas

Steve Canuel
09-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Nice, warm California feel to this image. Like the eye contact as well.

Jonathan Ashton
09-16-2012, 04:41 PM
I rather like the golden light. I can imagine that in a scene like this it would be difficult to isolate some action, for me it works well. I am not sure if the image might have looked a tad better if the distant hills were a little lower in the frame or not, but I do not find them distracting in any event.

Rachel Hollander
09-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi Andreas - good choice on the vertical comp. Nice action and good detail in that golden light. I would crop some from the bottom, about half of the oof sea lions. There seems to be a halo on the left side of the left sea lion.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Hi Andreas, like the choice of crop, but I'm with Rachel on cropping some from the foot of the image, perhaps even 2/3 of the OOF rears?

I can also see the halo Rachel also flagged up, but it might be partly highlight? The colours give a nice warm to the overall image and as Steve said, like the eye contact. Did you lighten the seals at all, looks more 'grain' coming through, even for the MKIIn? I wonder if it could take some selective Mid tone on the face/bodies to add a little more form?

Just my take.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
09-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks to Steve ; Steve; Rachel and Jonathan for watching and commenting.

I understand the suggestions about the crop.The problem with this is , if i crop it your way , i will either loose side ratio (what i do not like ) or i will go too tight IMO.
So i leave it, but thanks for suggestions .

The halo is actually a highlight , just checked back the raw, so no need of correcting.
I am not sure , maybe you are right Steve about the grainy looking parts on the seal, will try to remove it.

Thanks for your feedback, as always appreciate your opinions.
Andreas

Marina Scarr
09-18-2012, 10:21 AM
While the light and behavior are terrific, I find the OOF FG overpowering. I think if it were darker it wouldn't be as distracting.