PDA

View Full Version : Common Tern bathing

Bill Dix
09-16-2012, 02:49 PM
From Sandy Hook last week. I believe this must be a 1st-year Common Tern, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

D7000, 500f4 + 1.4; sorry I'm away from my hard drive and don't have the exposure data.

dankearl
09-16-2012, 03:37 PM
The exposure looks perfect. The whites are very nicely done, may a tad on the blue side?
Very good comp.

Bill Dix
09-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Thank you Dan. The whites on the forehead are neutral. I'm guessing that the white underwings are reflecting the blue water, thus I didn't correct for that.

gail bisson
09-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Good POV and lovely wing pose.
The whites on the wings are great but are a bit hot on the forehead and right shoulder.
I like the HA and the blues and browns of the BG.
It probably is the water reflection causing a bit of a blue cast but I would still correct it.
Gail

Arthur Morris
09-16-2012, 07:11 PM
I am pretty sure that this is a post breeding adult as the young of the year have very delicate looking faces. This one could use a healthy crop from the bottom.

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-16-2012, 09:22 PM
I am not accuainted with this species so I can help on ID but I am with Arthur about cropping on bottom. Nice eye contact and wing pose.

Robert Holguin
09-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Great shot. I really like the pose, great details, and exposed very well.
Well done.

Stu Bowie
09-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Hi Bill, good wing display and HA, and I like the low perspective. I agree with the others on reducing the blue cast, crop and whites.

Bill Dix
09-17-2012, 08:20 AM
I am pretty sure that this is a post breeding adult as the young of the year have very delicate looking faces. This one could use a healthy crop from the bottom.

Thank you Artie. I was basing the aging of the bird on Sibley's terminology of "1st Year" meaning last year's hatch, not this year's juvenile, and on his note that the adults maintain their breeding plumage until October/November. But I could well be wrong, and of course it's tough to tell a lot from a single image. I agree about the crop. Thanks for looking.

Bill Dix
09-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm of two minds about the blue "cast". I generally feel that if the cast is the result of a camera WB issue it should be corrected, but if it is the result of the natural lighting conditions (warm morning light, reflected water or foliage, etc), then the image should be true to the lighting conditions. I believe this is at least partly the latter, based on a neutral reading of the forehead, but it could be some of both.

Arthur Morris
09-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Thank you Artie. I was basing the aging of the bird on Sibley's terminology of "1st Year" meaning last year's hatch, not this year's juvenile, and on his note that the adults maintain their breeding plumage until October/November. But I could well be wrong, and of course it's tough to tell a lot from a single image. I agree about the crop. Thanks for looking.

I am pretty sure that at least a few adults are molting by now but I could very well be wrong.... I would not bet my life on it.

Daniel Cadieux
09-17-2012, 09:23 AM
I like the full wingspread and turned head. I'd tame the whites on the shoulder, but the rest looks OK to me. A crop from bottom is a good idea.