PDA

View Full Version : Belt on Venus

Andrew Aveley
09-15-2012, 04:41 AM
I captured this images a few weeks back . Of late i have been doing research into interesting phenomena that can be photographed at specific times and places. I think it adds some interest into my landscape photography.Just before sunrise we are sometimes surrounded by a pinkish glow or antitwilight arch that extends roughly 10°–20° above the horizon. Often, this is separated from the horizon by a dark layer due the shadow of the earth. The light rose (pink) color is due to backscattering of reddened light from the immanent rising of the sun. This is know as "the belt of venus". A bit of an issue with thin fog and sea spray from the surf on the top of the frame but still a keeper for me. All comments appreciated.

Canon 5 D MK III , 24-105 mm F4 @ 24 mm , F22 , ISO 400 , 2 sec - Tripod , remote release . Lee 0.6 soft grad used near top of frame.

Rachel Hollander
09-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Hi Andrew - interesting phenomena and the colors are beautiful. I like the comp with the taller rock in a ROT position but there's a slight halo around the rock and a couple of brighter highlights at the edge of the rock (not sure if they are natural or from PP) that draw my attention slightly. There is also a large faint dust spot to the right of that rock.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew Aveley
09-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks for viewing and commenting Rachel. Yo have a very keen eye ;) I did not see the spot at all . My ps skills are limited so LR 4 it is ! I used a adjustment brush here to even out the rock and removed the mark (think may have been water on lens) Anybetter

Rachel Hollander
09-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Andrew - much better and nicely done.

Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
09-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Lovely scene and nice colours, mate. Very pleasing to look at. Nice job on the repost, but I still see a whole lot of CA (chromatic abberation) along the rock ridges (almost all the rocks LHS and RHS)...
easy to fix in LR though! :bg3:

Andrew Aveley
09-16-2012, 04:58 AM
Thanks Guys , will revisit the original.looks like the eyes now toast.....:eek3:

Mark Wiseman
09-17-2012, 04:46 AM
Hi Andrew,
A beautiful image of the south Cape coastline with the black muscle, oyster beds and red bait at low tide, the fisherman and gatherer coming out in me now.
Beautiful pastel colours at sunset and a lovely composition. All has been said above. I will send the RAW image to you soon of the star circles, thanks for offering to help.
Thanks for sharing and best wishes,
Mark.

Arthur Morris
09-18-2012, 02:30 PM
I like the repost and the colors and the soft light and the 1/3--2/3 image design. I think that you meant "imminent."

I'd heard that the strip of blue is from the earth's shadow but had never heard the belt of Venus explanation for the pink, so thanks for that.

Andrew Aveley
09-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks Arthur , much appreciate the comment..looks like my spelling is also stuffed ;)