Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Shot this last Feb St. Pete Fl.
Canon 1DMIII
300mm2.8L w 2X
ISO 640 f8@1/1600 HH

Stu Bowie
09-15-2012, 04:39 AM
Hi Cheryl, just love your angle of capture in this, and you have nailed the exposure nicely on a difficult subject. Great HA, lovely red eye, although I would maybe clean up the two tiny catchlights. I also like the streaks of browns and blues in the water. Comp wise, moving the coot ever so slightly more to the left wont harm, and I believe taking half off the bottom will improve the perspective even better. Still, well captured.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Cheryl - very nice details throughout the bird. I would clone out the two white spots on the head and would crop some off the left and bottom.

Karl Egressy
09-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Nice capture, Cheryl. I tend to agree with Stuart on taking som canvass off from the bottom. Love the nice head turn and eye contact.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi Cheryl, just love your angle of capture in this, and you have nailed the exposure nicely on a difficult subject. Great HA, lovely red eye, although I would maybe clean up the two tiny catchlights. I also like the streaks of browns and blues in the water. Comp wise, moving the coot ever so slightly more to the left wont harm, and I believe taking half off the bottom will improve the perspective even better. Still, well captured.
Thanks Stuart for the great suggestions. Did you happen to notice the piece of grass in the beak. Would you keep it there?

Stu Bowie
09-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Hey Cheryl, your repost does look better, but hope you dont mind, this was my idea. :w3 No I didnt see the piece of grass at the back of his beak, but either way, it would be fine.

nrohrbacker
09-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Nice report. smooth BG and nice portrait !

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Hey Cheryl, your repost does look better, but hope you dont mind, this was my idea. :w3 No I didnt see the piece of grass at the back of his beak, but either way, it would be fine.

OOOh you mean ALOT off the bottom. Don't want to keep the reflection? That feels too blunt to me with the harsh shadow line just ending. How bout this? Thanks for your time and honest input.

Stu Bowie
09-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Hmmmm, maybe I did take a bit too much off mine :w3 - your final does work too.

Its fun playing around with different comps, and if you ever decide to enter this into a competition, you will certainly have various ideas to choose from.

BTW, were you standing in water for this?

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Hmmmm, maybe I did take a bit too much off mine :w3 - your final does work too.

Its fun playing around with different comps, and if you ever decide to enter this into a competition, you will certainly have various ideas to choose from.

BTW, were you standing in water for this?
LOL Thanks Stuart:bg3: actually I was sitting in the reeds in wet ground. He got so close and never saw me:S3:

Satish Ranadive
09-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Gorgeous image.Wonderful details in blacks.Love it.

Regards,
Satish.

Melissa Groo
09-15-2012, 06:27 PM
You've really brought out the beauty in this coot, Cheryl. Wonderful job. I like your last repost the best of all. I just love the colors in the water, the details in those blacks, and the overall mood of this.

Daniel Cadieux
09-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Great job on the exposure and the low perspective. My fave of the bunch is pane #5. I'd leave the grass there, it adds some interest.

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-15-2012, 09:26 PM
I also like the exposure and water. I find this one a bit tricky to compose and I believe that you made the right choice in your last repost.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback and great suggestions

Marina Scarr
09-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Pane #5 is my favorite. Great details in the blacks.

OvidiuCavasdan
09-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Very good exposure, I like the low angle, head turn and the water colors.

gail bisson
09-16-2012, 06:30 PM
I like pane #8 the best!
Blacks look great and terrific low angle with a great HA,
Gail

Robert Holguin
09-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Lovley shot. I really like the pose, wonderful light and water color. Exposed very well and I really like your last repost best.
Very well done.