PDA

View Full Version : Canon Mk III TCs around EF12

JALethbridge
09-14-2012, 03:57 AM
Hi,
Has anyone successfully stacked the MK III teleconverters around either the EF12 or EF25 and gotten decent results? Specifically I was wondering about this option with a 300mm f2.8 - I am going to Shetland in search of rares; the style of birding there requires a very portable telephoto, hence the 300, plus you go on an itty-bitty plane. Whilst f2.8 is invaluable in the often crappy light, you find situations from time to time where you (I) need greater than 600mm, for instance Waders on beaches and Pipits in fields. In an ideal world I'd have both my 300 and 800 with me, leaving one in the car as the situation arose, and if the rare action was slow, then I could happily switch to photographer mode and go off and find common resident birds - I have a specific Twite photo in mind for instance. I have 6kg of hand-luggage allowance on the tiny plane, 10kg on the first leg.....both lenses ain't happening, it's one or the other, and to be honest even with bulging pockets I may struggle with the 800 on the smaller plane.
What should I do? I'm from the school of longer is always better, but this is slightly different. I have the MK I 300mm. I can (sometimes!), get sharp photos with this lens and the 300 mk II, even hand held. If I stack TCs around a tube, am I asking too much?
I know if I take the 800 I'll come away with some great shots, the 300 will be harder work in many situations.
Thanks
Jonathan