PDA

View Full Version : Least sandpiper

gail bisson
09-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Taken on a cloudy afternoon. I like the pensive pose and soft light.
1D MKIV
F 4 500mm and 1.4x
ISO 400
F 6.3
ISO 400
Sitting in the water with tripod.
Cropped by ~ 25%
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

Derek Willcox
09-13-2012, 06:48 PM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Gail great image looks like it is just bobbing along and the low position is wow maybe just a little more off the bottom but thats up to you very nice

Karl Egressy
09-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Nice looking back pose and nice colours. I like the water droplets on the head and body.
These guys are fun to watch. Excellent work, Gail.
Gail wrote: "Sitting in the water with tripod."
I hope you had your waders on.

Daniel Cadieux
09-13-2012, 07:31 PM
I love the look-back glance it gave you, and the water drops on the are indeed nice. Beautiful BG, not crazy about the FG. Way to get low!

Michael Libbe
09-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Beautiful image and a great head angle. Details on the head are super sharp. A lovely image!

Marina Scarr
09-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Great exposure and sharpness on the bird, and appealing BG. I find the FG is pulling my eye away from the bird.

Shawn Zierman
09-14-2012, 12:29 AM
The lighting is nice, soft and diffused. The bird looks great with the slightly worn juvenile plumage.
Head angle and body angle are working well together. The brightly reflected sky in the lower part
of the frame is weakspot in the image. I would have tried to move closer to the shoreline here, in order
to achieve a more complete land reflection in the water. I would also have tried to shoot from a lower
perspective, (to possibly further minimize the reflected sky portion. I can see you were quite low,
but I'm talking an inch off the water low...handholding a rig in that scenario is much easier than using a tripod.
You just have to be able to get back up using your elbows, so you need a semi-firm substrate.

Satish Ranadive
09-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Gail,
Absolutely superb image.Love the beautiful colors with great sharpness and lights.

Regards,
Satish.

Stu Bowie
09-14-2012, 02:06 AM
Hi Gail, being able to stand in water to capture these excellent perspectives turns out so well. Thinking of some of my locations, if I had to stand in the water, I would either be eaten by a croc, or get arrested. :e3

As mentioned, just love your low angle, perfect pose, and I do like the colours and sharp details on the Sandpiper. I agree, the FG could be toned down a touch, if you havent already done so.

christopher galeski
09-14-2012, 02:35 AM
very nice,like the soft light,pose,and low angle,good detail.well done.