PDA

View Full Version : Show me how you store your equipment.

Amol Khedgikar
09-12-2012, 12:21 PM
HI,

I always wondered how other photographers stored their bird/wildlife photography equipment.

My equipment has long out grown my camera backpack. I have a dust problem where I live due to construction. It is going to go on for some time. I do shoot regularly so I cant store things away.

So I want to be ready with proper and quick in and out storage system. when the ducks arrive this year. Not too worried about theft but I am worried about fungus. I have lost a lens to fungus in one of the driest parts of the world(dust).

Please post pics of storage set up if its not too much trouble. (Another chance to show off your gear...:w3)

Thanks in Advance

Amol

John Chardine
09-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Hi Amol- I have a gun safe which has shelves and a big space below. I can store a Kiboko bag, packed, in the lower space and sundry items on the shelves. It works great for me. In humid, warm climates, it's best to install some sort of de-humidfying device in the safe. That's not a problem where I live.

Arthur Morris
09-12-2012, 08:19 PM
I keep much of my stuff in an A/Ced garage here in FL. The rest is on shelves or otherwise strewn about the 2-car garage half of which serves as the warehouse for the BAA On-line store (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/default.aspx).

Amol Khedgikar
09-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks John and Artie.

Don Railton
09-13-2012, 11:11 PM
I store my stuff in a pelican case which lives inside the house in the linen cupboard which happens to be close to the heater. Dry and handy... These cases are waterproof and I imagine dustproof. Might be a good option for you..

Don

Ulli Hoeger
09-14-2012, 10:17 AM
I use super sized ziploc bags to protect gear from the elements during transport if there is reason to expect that the normal camera bag isn't water- or dustproof enough, or if storage conditions get temporarily iffy (home renovation etc.).
In case I get into heavy weather I have one of those folded up in my camera bag ......
They are pretty sturdy -not even close to pelican cases-, but can be used several times and cost only a few bucks each. A great solution for temporary unexpected problems like yours, but if those are permanent problems go with something like the pelican boxes

The XXL size takes a 500mm lens with attached body.

I found this tip in a photo mag, where a fellow shot polar bears and had to deal with condensation on big lenses when bringing them back inside (the lenses not the bears).

This is where I got mine, but since its a major brand I expect you can get them in other parts of the world as well ......
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/StorageOrganization/ContainersBinsTotes/PRD~0530261P/Ziploc+Extra-Extra-Large+Heavy-Duty+Storage+Bags%2C+3-Pk.jsp?locale=en (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/StorageOrganization/ContainersBinsTotes/PRD%7E0530261P/Ziploc+Extra-Extra-Large+Heavy-Duty+Storage+Bags%2C+3-Pk.jsp?locale=en)

Ulli

Rachel Hollander
09-14-2012, 10:20 AM
I suggest that people not discuss where in their homes they store their equipment on a public forum using their real names.

Ulli Hoeger
09-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Valid Point and Common Sense!

With this in mind I would also review information in my profile (espl. when using a real name as forum policy here suggests).
Some folks here make it very easy to potentially track down their whereabout in the real world and advertise to professionals of a certain kind what could be gained by paying their home a visit . Finding it there would be a snap .....

Ulli

John Chardine
09-14-2012, 06:24 PM
This happened to me in August of last year in the sleepy town in which I live. I responded to this thread with a little trepidation but in the end I am pretty confident in my security system, not to mention the big dog who would not think twice about doing damage if someone he didn't recognise entered the house.

Don Railton
09-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Thank Rachel.

It was a silly thing for me to do...Suffice to say I have a new spot now.

DON