PDA

View Full Version : Tiger cubs (c)

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
09-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Sorry for having broken the rules of posting a different image. I wasn't aware of the rule although, I think it is a very good one. This image is one I took on a different day than the former ones on this forum. I tried to do a better job both on the capture and the PP. I shot the image with a faster SS which corrected a few of the focus problems. If I were to do it over again I would probably raise the ISO instead of opening the lens as I lost some depth of field. I also would use Manual mode instead of aperture priority. I used AP because the bacjground lighting was all over the place. In PP I adjusted the WB with LR4 and I think it has corrected the color problems that I encountered with the first two images of this subject. Thanks again for all your help as I have learned a great deal from your opinions and thoughts. Shooting data follows:
Nikon D4
2012:09:08 16:50:01
300mm
300mm (in 35mm film)
1/2000 sec, f/2.8
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 800
White balance: Fine weather
Flash: Off
File size: 73.8MB
Image size: 1874 x 1527
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: Adobe RGB (1998)

Steve Kaluski
09-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Hi Mac, this is a big step forward to the previous images, so congratulations on your persistence and passion to improve. No worries about the additional posting easily done, but you know for next time. :w3

Firstly looking at the techs I would look to f/5.6, it just works on something like this as you had the SS which could easily have dropped as the subject was static without any issue to the image, but keep to AV. Obviously you could have left it at f/5.6 when they were playing to and just upped the ISO, the D4 can take it. I like the relaxed posture of the cub with the paws over the stick just gazing into space. Certainly you have more detail clarity and sharpness where it needs to be and the colour albeit lighter, is better. I feel you can afford now to go the other way this time and punch the colour up a fraction more and perhaps look to using a Luminosity mask layer to add more depth to the image. You may find also that adding a Linear contrast curve may help, but in selective parts just to give a bit more definition? I would also look at reducing some hot spots in the foliage and crop slightly tighter avoiding some 'bits' in the BKG.

Not great as this was quickly done on the laptop and it's never an ideal way to go, but hopefully it might illustrate some of the above points. I would also agree with Rachel's comments and that any chance to get experience with you camera and settings is always worthwhile, irrespective of location, so take some more trips to the zoo and get snapping. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

PS Seems Tiger 13 was lucky for you :w3

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
09-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Hi Steve,
Here is the final (I think), utilizing your suggestions. I am really happy with it and hope you and anyone else that views it likes it as well as I do. Thank you so much for your help.

Mac

Rachel Hollander
09-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Hi Mac - this image is definitely an improvement. Steve has made great points about aperture and dof as well as color. I think you can still go a bit darker with the color more towards Steve's repost than your own. Watch the whites though, some look a little too gray particularly on the upper part of the cub's right paw.

TFS,
Rachel

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
09-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks Rachel
Your suggestions are good ones, but I want to say that the color of the cub is closer to the true color than in Steve's repost. Thanks again.

Mac

Morkel Erasmus
09-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Best of the lot, Mac.
Steve's repost is better for me than yours, as yours still has a lot of overly bright highlights. Tone those down and you'll be leaps forward. If you're unsure how to, check out the sticky threads Robert posted at the top of the Wildlife section...:w3