PDA

View Full Version : Sandwich Tern

Miguel Palaviccini
09-12-2012, 06:52 AM
Taken at Sanibel Island beach about a year ago. I kept this image even though it had a clipped wing, because I knew I would be able to fix it one day. One day finally came! His left (our right) wing was clipped, so I added canvas and repaired it. Cropped from the bottom and cloned out a couple of tern and seagull heads. Resized and sharpened for web.

Nikon d300s | 70-200 + 2x
400 mm | 1/500" | f/4 | ISO 200
Aperture Priority | +1 1/3 EV

Comments and critiques are always welcomed and appreciated!

Satish Ranadive
09-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Miguel,
Pretty good work done on clipped wing.I like nice wing pose and open beak.
Love the details in whites,tail feathers,lights,BG and panorama-crop composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Sanjeevprakash
09-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Nice work,Miguel.The spread out wings and the Terns looking directly towards you is what I like in this shot.The crop works well here.TFS

Anette Mossbacher
09-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Hi Miguel,

love the open beak and the spread wings very. Looks great to me. Wonder how it would look if the BG is a bit more soften!

Ciao
Anette

Stu Bowie
09-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi Miguel, I like you pano crop - suits in the inflight pose, and well timed to get the open beak too. Whites look good, and good job on the repair.

Melissa Groo
09-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Great dynamic pose, Miguel, and I like the sense of the sea behind him. Good job on the wing repair. I might give a tad more room beyond the other wing as that tip looks cramped. If you can easily add canvas/content-aware fill.

Josh Clark
09-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Great pano shot of this Tern. Nice job on the wing repair.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Anette - not clear what you mean by a a "BG that is a bit more soften". As in blur it a bit more or try to make it more uniform? Or lighter?

Melissa - I agree! I will add a bit more room to the other side as well.

Bill Dix
09-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Nice detail in the white wings, and I like the pano. Good work on the wingtip repair.

Shawn Zierman
09-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Excellent facial expression captured! The flight pose and light quality are A+.
There are some smudging PS marks still visible at the ends of the repaired wing tip,
but I have to pixel peep to see them :S3: More room on the sides, particularly the
left side, is a great suggestion.

Vivaldo Damilano
09-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Miguel lovely image, really enjoy landing pose. I would have prefered slightly softer light, maybe try decrease the exposure slightly. I also agree with above comments on adding extra space. Open beak adds so nicely well done.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Shawn, I could see the evidence of a repaired wing as soon as I was done, but wasn't very good at fixing it.

Vivaldo, I'll try the decrease in exposure to see what it looks like.

Jim Crosswell
09-12-2012, 04:46 PM
I like the open beak, wing position, composition and BG. Well done Miguel!

Arthur Morris
09-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Nice pose and repair. The tail looks a tad sharper than the head which is still pretty sharp. The WHITEs on the top of the head could use a bit more detail.

Kaustubh Deshpande
09-13-2012, 04:26 PM
very dramatic pose with the incoming angle, the open bill and the tail spread. beautiful Florida BG. Head a bit soft but does not hurt the image much. Well done.