Harshad Barve
09-12-2012, 03:58 AM
Dear All

Posting after many days.
Three years in row and Mara never disappoints you :D

D800,600/F4 and beanbag and NO light at 6.45 PM

All comments are most welcome
Harshad
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8595/cheetahfb1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/cheetahfb1.jpg/)

Andreas Liedmann
09-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Hi Harash,
really exciting image you show here, would have liked to witness the action.

I have to say sorry as an image it is not working for me.Even as an blurred image , think there should be at least a point where to look at.And i cannot find a point in here., sorry

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
09-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Hi Harshad - missed this one earlier. Welcome back and nice to see you posting again. Unfortunately, I agree with Andreas on this one, seems like it just missed with the sharpest point being on the tail and/or side of the cheetah rather than on its face. Maybe if you can sharpen the face more. It does look like an incredible sighting. What were the rest of your tech settings? Looking forward to more images of your recent travels.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi Harshad, although a sad image as we all know the conclusion, but this is life in the bush.

Firstly I think the image would benefit from a crop to pano, as the action, content & 'desgn' I feel lends itself to that format. I like both prey & predators stance, pose and position, with splayed legs and the cheetah tail acting as a counter balance, you nailed that, but like the others, certainly the image isn't working as it stands for me either due to lack of any sharpness & detail. From the image data, you really needed, as you know, to crank up that ISO, so I'm surprised when you say 'NO light at 6.45 PM' with settings f/8 1/125sec ISO400 +0.3 comp, why? More SS to freeze the action and a wider aperture.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
09-13-2012, 03:27 AM
Great to see you posting, Harshad. An exhilirating sighting I am sure. I'm not sure if you wanted to get the blurry effect? IMHO if you nailed more sharpness on the face it would have been killer...yet it's not really there for me. :(

I would have gone for more SS - like 1/300 on the 600mm, and EV to +0.7 to get better exposure. I've heard D800 ISO can be pushed decently.

I see you are shooting the D800 now - how are you finding it for wildlife? Slow FPS a downside, high resolution an upside - I heard it's tricky to get good sharpness shooting handheld due to the high mp sensor?

Timing and framing are superb though :5.

Harshad Barve
09-13-2012, 04:08 AM
I see you are shooting the D800 now - how are you finding it for wildlife? Slow FPS a downside, high resolution an upside - I heard it's tricky to get good sharpness shooting handheld due to the high mp sensor?

I am selling D800 and buying old trustworthy D3 :)

Morkel Erasmus
09-15-2012, 04:01 PM
I am selling D800 and buying old trustworthy D3 :)

Why not D4 or good used D3s? :w3