PDA

View Full Version : Northern Gannett in the South

Harold Davis
04-22-2008, 04:50 AM
went back out to the beach yesterday afternoon and got two flybys from the gannetts. there are two couples that are in the area, that i saw. they remind me of deer: the females are always around and up close where as the males always stay far away!!! this was the best head angle i could get all day. hope you like it. and that's not a blue cast on the face. it's actual blue color.

D300, Sigma 50-500 at 420mm, f/7.1, 1/3200s, 0EV, ISO 800, flash fill

thanks for looking and i appreciate your comments.

Gus Cobos
04-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Very nice capture Harold,
Love the flight angle, good details on the under wing...:D

Alfred Forns
04-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Hi Harold Neat seeing a gannet down here !!! Love those big birds !!!

When pointing at the sky remember the compensation will be plus more often than not particularly for a dark bird Sometimes if they are close to the beach there will be some light reflected back up and it fills !!! The flash you can put it away since it will have zero effect At that shutter speed the output was probably under twenty feel !!!

btw that is a juvi You should see then adults in full breeding plumage up at Cape St Mary's !!!

Lance Peters
04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi Harold - Nice one - love the angles.

Lance

Bruce Gove
04-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Nice image Harold! Love the blue sky here. My wife just got me a new flash for my MKIII - can't wait to start using it. I bought the Better Beamer and also got the integrated flash arm with the mongoose M3.5. The mongoose is great - works with both the 100-400 and 500 lenses. Now I have the flash, which has been the missing link.

Cheers,

Bruce

Oscar Zangroniz
04-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Great shot my friend. Excellent flight angle and composition. Hope to see you Sunday.