PDA

View Full Version : Knot grass caterpillar (I think!!)

Jonathan Ashton
09-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Canon 50D canon 180mm macro Fill in flash -1.66 ISO 100 1/13 sec f11
I am not 100% sure about ID but I think this is a moth caterpillar. I found this him on a garden seat so I transferred him to this grass stem to make him a little more photogenic. The stem is clamped to a lightweight mickey mouse type tripod and the background is the lawn.
This was taken when we had the relatively dry day last week - raining again today!!
All C&C welcome.

bhavya joshi
09-12-2012, 01:47 AM
Beautiful Creature... Jonathon, Love the Compo and patterns on Body, Clean Background.. add More Thanks For Sharing...

Bob Miller
09-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Jon...nice work on this...sharness and composition are nice. You might consider adding a bit mor e saturation to the bg to move it awy from this muddy looking green. Just a thought!

Jonathan Ashton
09-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks Bob, as you may recall greens have given me some trouble in the past. Hopefully this has been cured and future posts will be better. I have taken some images with a fully calibrated Macbeth chart and may pal has all the necessary skills and software to produce a calibrated setting for my camera. This is stored in the folder that ACR uses and I can call up this setting in a similar manner to Camera Standard or Adobe Standard etc. but this time the colours will be corrected for daylight. Hopefully future shots should have more accurate colours.

Simon Wantling
09-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Nice photo Jonathan. Great detail. It's in fact the caterpillar of a Grey Dagger.

Jonathan Ashton
09-14-2012, 03:07 AM
Nice photo Jonathan. Great detail. It's in fact the caterpillar of a Grey Dagger.

Simon thanks for the ID I will amend the file name - much appreciated.

LindaHarden
09-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the description of how you set up the photograph. I have many common buckeye caterpillars at the moment and had started to think about how to capture images of them... I like your results.

Jonathan Ashton
09-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the description of how you set up the photograph. I have many common buckeye caterpillars at the moment and had started to think about how to capture images of them... I like your results.

Thank you Linda and I am glad to have been of help.