PDA

View Full Version : Midge with new 1DX

Patrick Sparkman
09-10-2012, 08:21 PM
This was one of the first shots that I made with the 1DX, and the 65 MPE. While I lose a few megapixels versus the 5DIII that I have been using, I quite like the overall feel of the 1DX with the 65. The very quick mirror return really helps while using the 65 hand held, and the quick frame rate allowed me to get about 3 shots in rapid succession before the flash was empty. Then I was able to successfully focus stack two of the images in PS5, something that I have not really be able to do in the past. While it might be heavier, I think it will become my go to camera for macro.

I did not take the time to id this little fellow. It is very, very small and this shot is at 5X (full) magnification with little cropping. The overall length is probably 3/16", and what appears to be softness on the edges of the wings is actually fine hairs that rim the wings. Very Cool! The background flower was a geranium.

Canon 1DX, Canon MP-E 65, MT-24 Diffused, f10 1/200 sec, iso 200. Processed in Lightroom 4, and focus stacked in PS5.

All comments welcome.

Dave Leroy
09-11-2012, 09:01 AM
I don't know how people pick up such fine details when HH'n. The focus stacking seems to have added dof adding some detail to parts of the flower as well. It would be nice to have the fine detail stacd out a bit more from bg, but I am not sure what could have been done if anything.
Amazing that such a tiny thing can have even tinier bits and pieces.

Jonathan Ashton
09-18-2012, 03:41 AM
Patrick I appreciate this is not an easy shot to get. You appears to have some elements nice and sharp whilst others are a little soft. I think it is doubly difficult when hand holding. A tripod would have been an ideal solution to get the image perfectly sharp but I do appreciate that it may be totally impracticable for many images. Maybe a monopod would help - or even a tripod using one leg. I am looking forward to seeing more close ups!