PDA

View Full Version : Giant Step

Rudi van den Heever
09-10-2012, 02:25 PM
It is always a challenge to capture the beauty of the african elephant in a unique way, as they are certainly one of the most photographed mammals in africa... I got close and personal with this young bull elephant in Pilanesberg Game Reserve, South Africa...

Not the award winning version of Peter Delaney, but I nevertheless like the result.

Image processed in LR4, Nik Silver Efex and CS6...

Equipment: Canon 7D and 500mm F4 L lens
Settings: 1/1000s at F4 and ISO 100

Rachel Hollander
09-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Rudi - from the thumbnail I immediately thought of Peter's shot (that's a good thing if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery). Nice light and you have brought out the detail well.

TFS,
Rachel

Stan Cunningham
09-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Great job of bringing out the detail.

Jamie Douglas
09-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Hi Rudi, I might try a tighter crop this so it was only the foot and leg showing without the additional skin in the top left but then you would loose the fur on the top right which adds to the image.

Just my thoughts and it's always nice to see something that steps away from the norm.

Jamie

Steve Kaluski
09-11-2012, 02:58 AM
Hi Rudi, personally I find it difficult to say too much on this, as I think PD has set a very iconic looking image and therefore is very difficult to break away and do something different sadly. Certainly there is clarity and detail in the image and I do like the idea of having more space at the foot of the image, his was a little tight for me. Nice conversion.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
09-11-2012, 02:59 AM
Hey Rudi,
just thinking you have not sorted out your calibration problems, cause you post B/W :t3.Hope you fixed your problems.

About the image - really nice detail and contrast you managed to get out of the image, really nicely processed.Are you following the MORKPATH ?

Not sure about the crop, maybe a bit tighter like Peter has done, but then you have almost a copy of that image, so stick with your version.

TFS Andreas

Rudi van den Heever
09-11-2012, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Yes, it will be very difficult if not impossible to look at an image of an elephant foot without thinking of the benchmark set by Peter...

Got the monitor and color issues sorted Andreas and thank you for the help in that regard... MORKPATH?

Andreas Liedmann
09-11-2012, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Yes, it will be very difficult if not impossible to look at an image of an elephant foot without thinking of the benchmark set by Peter...

Got the monitor and color issues sorted Andreas and thank you for the help in that regard... MORKPATH?

Morkel post a lot B/W so it was just play with words - Morkpath!!

Cheers Andreas

Dumay de Boulle
09-11-2012, 01:36 PM
I like it a lot, nice and creative and I like what you create in your B&W images...The conversions look great to my eye. Nice texture....Nice one Rudi!

Rudi van den Heever
09-12-2012, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback Dumay! Appreciate bud!

Harshad Barve
09-12-2012, 04:20 AM
Very well done indeed
TFS

Rudi van den Heever
10-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Thanks Harshad!