PDA

View Full Version : Theme Red Knot on Mussel Beach

Bill Dix
09-09-2012, 01:01 PM
From Sandy Hook on Friday morning. This Red Knot in winter plumage was alone on this stretch of beach, except for a dozen fishermen, and me, of whom he was totally oblivious. He practically walked into my lap -- this is Full Frame. I took lots of shots but have only processed this one so far, since it had the cleanest bg (although I did a bit of clean-up). I missed the good shot of course; I was kneeling at the edge of the surf behind my lowered tripod, looking at the upward-sloping beach, when a rogue wave caught me by surprise and filled my pockets with sand. I had a split-second decision to make -- do I wait another second and get the bird with the foam around his legs, or lift my rig out of the water to keep the salt splash off of it? I opted for the latter and missed the shot.

D7000, 500f4 + 1.4TC, ISO 640, 1/1250s @ f/7.1 manual, gitzo and mongoose, full frame.

Randy Stout
09-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Bill"

I like the pose, shooting angle, relatively clean BG, the shells giving a strong sense of sea shore, good separation of bird from background. Because the shells are so dark, they do contrast enough with the beach to be quite attention grabbing, but I think the bird stands out enough to make it work.

Cheers

Randy

gail bisson
09-09-2012, 02:13 PM
The IQ of the bird is outstanding. I love the detail in the scalloped edges. The mussels add a lot to this image as well.
Just lovely,
Gail

Andrew McLachlan
09-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Hi Bill, very nice image. I really like the placement of the bird in the comp and the way it is walking through the mussels on the beach. Beautiful detail in the bird as well.

Marina Scarr
09-09-2012, 06:37 PM
This image is quite appealing, Bill. Love the included environment and the contrast that it offers. The yellow legs add a nice pop, and I like that I can see the toes. The bird's feather pattern looks so very delicate, and you have done a great job processing this image.

Grace Scalzo
09-09-2012, 08:20 PM
So that's where the red knots are...I've been looking on Long Island to no avail. This is really a great image of this perfect juvenile, Bill. Sharp from head to toe, and a terrific capture of habitat as well.

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Nice pose, inquisitive look and light. I find the pebbles very interesting and add to the image, well done and seen.

Stu Bowie
09-10-2012, 01:38 AM
Hi Bill, lovely low angle and walking pose, and I do like the detail. I actually like the inclusion of the mussels on the beach, and interesting to see how the bird is complimented by the upper BG.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Very nice angle. I love that you can see the feet on this one, as you (read: I) usually don't. Really like the foreground pebbles, but I wish they were less visible in the background.

Bill Dix
09-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Thank you everyone for your comments.

Melissa Groo
09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Beautiful portrait, Bill! Love all those details in that delicately patterned plumage. I like the added interest and color of all the shells. Great job processing.

Paul Guris
09-10-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm with the crowd that likes the mussel shells. I really like the fact that you have them at leg level but not scattered all over the background. FYI, this bird is in juvenile plumage, not winter plumage, hence all the great pale feather edging that makes it looks so sweet.

Did you see the Elegant Tern while you were there?

Bill Dix
09-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks Paul, and Grace, for pointing out that this is a juvie. That would probably explain why he seemed so fearless.

No, Paul, I missed the Elegant Tern. He showed up several hours after I left. There were four or five birders scoping the flock of Common Terns, to no avail. (There was a larger tern with orange bill and slightly shaggy crest which gave me momentary hope, but the folks with scopes figured it was probably a Royal.) I did get a few images of Black Terns that were mixed in with the flock.

Shawn Zierman
09-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Gorgeous image. Great setting, and great pose.
So nice to see images of young red knots, a species that has suffered so much decline in recent history....

Frank Schauf
09-11-2012, 04:49 AM
Very nice pose and colours.

Robert Holguin
09-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Wonderful shot. I really like all the mussels on the beach. It gives us a sense of their enviroment. Great pose, excellent details, and great comp.
Well done.

Bill Dix
09-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Thank you again.