PDA

View Full Version : Fotheringhay church at night

Mark Wiseman
09-09-2012, 11:22 AM
I recieved an L bracket for my D800 on Friday and at 23h30 I took this image of Fotheringhay church. It was in this village that Mary Queen of Scots and one of King Henry VIIII wives was beheaded. I am in the process of taking a series of images of the church and this is one that I will add to my collection. There was light from the moon and a house on the right and to the left of the church is a light from the pub.When I got back I received good news as my only image in the International Photographic Awards 2012 received an honourable mention.
Camera details:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 AF/S G ED lens
Aperture f2.8
Shutter speed 30 sec
ISO 3200
Gitzo tripod
RRS BH-55
L bracket
Image processed in ACR and CS% on a 15" MBP.
Any comments welcome.:cheers:

Rachel Hollander
09-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Mark - Congrats on the Honorable Mention. I like the colors here, the stars and the reflection (I would have moved slightly to avoid the grass intersecting the reflection of the church). I do feel that the light from the pub detracts from the image as does the cluster of chairs and house boat(?) below the church. I don't know what it was like in the field and whether if you moved left or right you could have eliminated or minimized these.

TFS,
Rachel

Mark Wiseman
09-11-2012, 05:23 AM
Hi Rachel,
Thank you for your comments. I tried to get more of the narrow boat into the image, but was unable to as the lights at the house on the right prevented me from doing that. The reeds visible in the foreground were included to add depth to the image and the chairs on the opposite river bank add to the image as the people in the narrowboat live in there boat and occasionally use the riverbank as there patio. I agree about the light from the pub, which I have reduced in intensity, but cannot reduce any further as the colours would look artificial.
Thank you once again for your commentary, which is gratefully appreciated and has helped me to improve my imagery.
Best wishes, Mark.

Morkel Erasmus
09-11-2012, 09:01 AM
It's always a challenge to shoot a nightscape with uncontrollable artificial light from the surroundings, and I think you did quite well here Mark.
Though I hear what you're saying re the FG reeds, I think the image would have been stronger without them - alas it may have been impossible to exclude them in any case?
The tree on the LHS ROT line shows some ghosting which is probably from wind movement - again nothing you can do.
How did the D800 handle the high ISO? I am testing one in Chobe at the end of the month, can't wait! :bg3:

Mark Wiseman
09-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi Morkel,
Thanks for your comment. The answer to your question is brilliantly. For me the big advantage above the D4 is it's size and the resolution that shows an amazing ability in night scapes to pick up so much detail. For milky way night scapes in Chobe, you will have so much fun and I am sure you will be impressed. I am just not sure as to what to do with my D3s at the moment.
Best wishes, Mark.

Morkel Erasmus
09-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Good to hear...I will primarily be testing it as an option for using with my 70-200mm or 24-70mm for the wider shots of wildlife (obviously it will be my standard go-to Landscape camera if I should get it, this is an NPS unit)...

Congrats on the image honours - was it for this photo??

I'd say get a 70-200mm and use the D3s as a 2nd/3rd body for wildlife...the D800 with the 24-70 or 14-24...

Mark Wiseman
09-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Hi Morkel,
It was, wonder of wonders, for a lion image drinking at Qubitjie quap in the KTP. I think I will definitely keep the D3s as a third body on mu 70-200mm lens and the D800 0n the 24-70mm lens and 14-24 mm lens as you correctly mention.
I know you will be impressed with the D800. The detail it picks up is amazing. I took an image of a commbine harvester recently and about 100m away and the detail of the driver it picked up was unbelievable.
Best wishes,
Mark.

Andrew Aveley
09-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Hi Mark , interesting result and I find the composition quite appealing :) I am a bit concerned with the LHS and RHS of this image as it seams to have some "pixelation" or strange"fingerprints" from maybe postprossesing. Dont know if its just the resized version on the forum. I feel that the image is very "saturated" and maybe a little less is more of an approach here? TFS

Robert Amoruso
09-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Well done overall Mark. Interesting, powerful look and feel to the image. I would agree with the others that the reeds in the FG do not help the image. The reflection is strong and graphic and is all that is needed. Small items inserting themselves at the edges of the frame are a distraction.

Mark Wiseman
09-17-2012, 03:59 AM
Hi Robert and Andrew for your comments, they are much appreciated.
Andrew, I will try to decrease the saturation a wee bit and as has been mentioned in thre previous posts about the foreground reeds and grass, a bit of gardening will be in order next time I take an image of this church. I just did not want to fall into the water at 12pm on a freezing night on my own.
With regard to the image on the right side Andrew, I will have to look at the edge masks and the surface masks with regard to noise reduction and sharpening as that is most likely the issue.
Best wishes,
Mark.