PDA

View Full Version : Fall means Wood Ducks.

Gary Esman
09-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Some of the Maple Trees are just starting to get a hint of color in Michigan and that means the fall migration will start soon....but you know that. I am starting to get excited about it. This female Wood Duck was photographed last fall. Minor water clean up, NR on background. 7D, 1/1000, f/7.1, iso:320, 700mm. I liked the gradient in the background on her on this one. Appreciate and comments or critiques.

Thanks, Gary.

Jack Breakfast
09-09-2012, 07:45 AM
The light is appealing, as is the gradient background. The water dripping from bill "adds interest", as they say. A classic wood duck shot, but I am distracted by the double-eye in head's reflection. I would be inclined to crop a small strip off the top, just a little bit...

Randy Stout
09-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Gary:

I have been feeling that wood duck thing too! NIce fall colors, the birds hints of color show well, nice drip.

TO my eye, just a sliver of CCW {based on the relative position of the drop in reflection compared to real drop.}

The double eye reflection is really a bit of a pesky thing, as many of my shots from their have the same issue.

A minor crop off the top as Jack suggested would work, but I do like the colors there.

Cheers

Randy

PS: The pesky white eye ring on these gals is always a challenge. You might be able to get a little detail in that area by using a linear burn layer, or if you have it, Detail extractor in Color Efex.

gail bisson
09-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Very lovely BG color.Love the IQ and feather details
I would suggest a bit of CCW rotation.
Love the water drop and the reflection of the water drop. The double eye in the reflection doesn't really bother me until pointed out!
The white eyering is hot and I would try to recover some if possible,
Gail

gary ellwein
09-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Gary, agree with all of the positive comments and the CCW rotation suggestion. The discussion of this image introduced to me the dreaded double eye reflection. Thanks

Manjeet & Yograj Jadeja
09-10-2012, 10:57 AM
beautiful shot, nice colors here.
a little counter clockwise rotation would make this shot even more special.

Gary Esman
09-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks all. It does need a little CCW. I saw the eye reflection before posting but it did not bother me enough it fix.

Gary.

Josh Clark
09-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Great shot Gary. I agree on the CCW rotation. But other then that it is a great shot! I'll be heading up there next week just to check on things (tree color and activity).

Frank Schauf
09-11-2012, 04:50 AM
Excellent light, details and bg.