PDA

View Full Version : Quetzal for Susan

Doug Brown
01-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Susan, here is my best quetzal photo from my trip to Costa Rica last March. As I mentioned in your thread, advanced masking really helps improve your background. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, although I'm sure there are people with much more experience than I have on this forum.

http://birdwhisperer.smugmug.com/photos/239928154-X3.jpg

Canon 30D, 500 f/4 IS, f/5.6, 1/100, ISO 800, flash

Fabs Forns
01-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Hey Doug,

It was a treat to meet you at Bosque!!!
We did get that Falcon good, didn't we now????

I'm in love with this bird and it works very well as presented. You did a great job in post-processing and I read how, in Susan's thread.

Red carpet welcome to BPN!!!

More, please :)

Arthur Morris
01-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Hi Doug, To quote my very good friend, Linda Robbins, "Now you are looking for an ***-whooping!" Incredible image from the perfectly turned head to the perfectly curved tail and everywhere and everthing in between.

Please provide a link to the description of your techniques. Also, if it is not too much of a problem, post a J-peg of the converted RAW so that we can see the original BKGR.

Thanks and later and love, artie

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Doug -
Great photo with the classic quetzal pose. Good job with the background
As in susan's post - you can sometimes get sharper, less-saturated colors on red chest and green wing feathers if you sharpen outside of RGB mode
As per Artie - would be interested description of your masking techniques
Excellent job

Axel Hildebrandt
01-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Beautiful bird and image of it. I'm also interested in the applied masking technique.

Glenn Bartley
01-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Exceptional image of this species :) They are so hard to get clean looks at and you made the most of this opportunity. Well done.

Jody Melanson
01-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Wonderful image, Doug. My only nit would be I would like a little more light on the head. Fabulous as presented.

Linda Robbins
01-05-2008, 08:58 PM
You are killing me, and nearing "***-whooping" territory for getting the perfect shot of a species I lust after and one that has eluded me on numerous trips. If you manage to get an image of this remarkable bird without clipping the tail, it usually makes the body of the bird small in the frame....but your bird obligingly curled it's tail for you. It is truly a wonderful image from the pose, the perch, the nice background. I am so jealous!!!

Linda

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Very nice shot. Would love to see this bird soon.
Nice technic with the bg. Wonder how you achieved.
Wish the head having a bit more detail and light.
Szimi

Keith Bauer
01-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Seriously nice image..... the PS work on this is very very good.

Danny Brown
02-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Dad: I love this quetzal. It made me smile as my eyes traveled across the peach fuzz-looking head. This quetzal's variety of colors amazes me. Nice picture! Go for an even better one next time. :)

Doug Brown
03-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks Danny!