PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Towhee Background?

Gail Spitler
04-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi All
I am not sure what created all the spots of light in the background. The bird was lit from side (unfortunately?). I have cropped, adjusted levels (automatic), and sharpened.
Comments about why the background happened as it did and any other comments are much appreciated.

Canon 40D with 500mm f/4 IS USM at ISO 500, 1/320 sec at f/5.6, eval metering with 0 compensation.

Thanks for looking
Gail Spitler
In Burnaby, BC

Alfred Forns
04-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Hi Gail !!! Those white spots crop up from the light If you point the lens at the light source it will happen Even side lit there will be enough

You got a good pose for the little guy Head angle is close and exposure not all that bad Would have given -1/3 In mixed light you will be running into trouble all the time Difficult to have any keepers under those circumstances.

Would try working with converters for more magnification Longs lens techniques will be important since you will be at a disadvantage with the shutter speed but well worth the reward

Composition wise as presented would be best to keep the bird out of the center One of the corners would be best !!! Good luck !!!!

Gail Spitler
04-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks Al. After posting the image, I began to think about it more. Perhaps that's one advantage of posting. I thought the light spots had to come from light dispersing through the deciduous shrubs etc. Glad for the confirmation. I appreciate the suggestion about the converter. Might try converter plus extender too
Gail

Alfred Forns
04-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi Gail the extender will just get you closer with a little light loss !!! For small birds you will probably keep a converter on all the time !!! The 40D will AF with a 1.4X but not with the 2.0X Actually no mayor problem since manual focusing might even be more practical !!!

Gus Cobos
04-23-2008, 06:50 AM
Hi Gail,
Very nice composition, the only thing that bothers me are the white spots in the background...:eek:

Oscar Zangroniz
04-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Gail,
Love the bird, and the composition. Have to agree with Al and Gus regarding the background..
Congrats,

Gail Spitler
04-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I liked the image as well, but was bothered by the background. Sometimes photography feels like a lot of serendipity, or an amazing collection of ways to not quite get there. But it sure is fun trying. :-)

Gail Spitler