PDA

View Full Version : Dead Vlei #2

Rachel Hollander
09-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Another one from my visit to Sossusvlei and Dead Vlei.

Canon 5D3
16-35 @ 16mm
1/60
f16
ISO 100
Tripod, remote release and CP filter. Luminosity mask, levels, curves, LCE, Hougaard Malan action, cropped for comp and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Rachel Hollander
09-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks Peter for the repost. I prefer not to remove larger elements and I consider that log one, so for me it stays.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
09-10-2012, 01:49 AM
Beautiful colours, just what you'd expect from here. Shame that the fallen log is clipped, but a nice landscape despite that.

Mark Wiseman
09-11-2012, 05:10 AM
Hi Rachel, your image brings back memories as I was last at Sossusvlei with my wife and 1 year old son. I like the image but would definitely crop the tree to the right from the image. The image just appears cleaner and less distracting with the tree trunk gone. The composition is good and thanks for sharing.
Best wishes,
Mark.

Morkel Erasmus
09-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Gotta love that deep blue of the polarised sky...
Nice scene Rachel. I agree with you on not removing larger elements (as you could have guessed)...and I'm not sure cropping the RHS out places the LHS tree in an optimal position. For my tastes I might slice a sliver off the bottom?

Rachel Hollander
09-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Thanks Hilary, Mark and Morkel, much appreciated.

Andrew Aveley
09-14-2012, 11:27 AM
aaaagh I see you have enjoyed the morning stroll over the dune s :) Great image of my most enjoyable landscape places. My suggestion maybe a few paces back towards the june to include more of that one tree and just including the others in the bg? A world of compositions here :)

Robert Amoruso
09-14-2012, 11:24 PM
I like everything about this Rachel except that branch on right. A vertical crop of ROT crop are options as was moving in the field if that would have worked.

Rachel Hollander
09-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks Andrew and Robert. I'll play around a bit with the crop and see if I anything better is possible. Andrew - I agree, Dead Vlei is a very interesting place with tons of landscape possibilities.

Thanks again,
Rachel