PDA

View Full Version : Thorny Snack

Rachel Hollander
09-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Taken in Etosha National Park, Namibia in the afternoon.

Canon 7D
100-400 @ 375mm
1/1250
f6.3
ISO 400
EC +.67
HH from safari vehicle, levels and curves adjustments, sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Tom Graham
09-08-2012, 01:33 PM
I like this. Good head angle and eye contact. The open mouth and teeth are great. Like that the thorns are sharp :S3: and separated from BKG. BKG also nice with out-of-focus tree line and sky.
Tom

Jamie Douglas
09-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Looks like you had an awesome trip Rachel.

I like the composition and detail but might apply some additional sharpening to the lower jaw area. What influenced your decision to shoot at F6.3 if you dont mind me asking?

Jamie

Steve Kaluski
09-09-2012, 02:35 AM
Hi Rachel comp works for me, the mid chew and eye contact is nice, you almost feel at eye level with these gentle animals. I also like having the hint of blue sky in the BKG.

I just wonder, if you are happy with a little bit of 'gardening' then the removal of the thorn bushes just creeping in at the foot of the image, makes for a cleaner image and IMHO, emphasises the whole action/scene more. I would also, if you can soften, the dark 'branch' just on the LH edge. Any contrast added? Overall a nice image.

might apply some additional sharpening to the lower jaw area

Could work Jamie.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
09-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks Tom, Jamie and Steve. Jamie - I had plenty of shutter speed so when possible I've been trying to shoot with a bit more dof and I've found that my 100-400 is sharpest when stopped down slightly to 6.3 or 7.1.

Steve - Contrast added through curves adjustment. I left the opacity of the layer a little higher than I normally would since most comments on my recent images have been to increase the contrast a bit.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-09-2012, 07:32 AM
I left the opacity of the layer a little higher than I normally would since most comments on my recent images have been to increase the contrast a bit.

Personally if you applied it overall, then I might ease off on the subject only, but that's just my take. Be good to know what others think.:S3:

Rachel Hollander
09-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Steve - Applied in a mask only on the giraffe. Will wait to see what others think.

Thanks,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
09-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I'll echo Tom's comments on this one. I'll also add that having the lip curl down rather than up, finishes off the line of the head nicely for me.

Rachel Hollander
09-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

Morkel Erasmus
09-09-2012, 04:01 PM
I really like this one Rachel! :5
Great moment, framing and exposure. I agree with Jamie on a hint of sharpening to the jaw. It's amazing how they can curl their tongues around those thorns.
PP looks good, almost thought this was with the 5Dmk3 :w3

Hilary Hann
09-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Nicely done Rachel, love the little acacia flowers.

Rachel Hollander
09-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks Morkel and Hilary :wave: