PDA

View Full Version : Wild Horses

david cramer
04-21-2008, 09:34 PM
White stallion with mare and yearling. Sun was beginning to get harsh... may need to lessen the contrast some.

http://davidwcramer.smugmug.com/photos/283069526_Zx6WT-O.jpg

Robert Amoruso
04-22-2008, 01:03 PM
David,

I like how they are looking at you. The BG is distant but obviously hills that contrast nicely with the horses and tells you something about where they live as does the FG.

Please post the tech details as that helps us to critique. A few suggestions to improve images like this in the future. The horse on the right, being behind the white horse and with the face partially hidden is distracting. After making this image, you could have tried walking right to get better separation. Since they appear to be watching you, they may have continued to do so. Though it may not have been possible, getting a bit higher elevation on the camera would have gotten the tops of the horses heads away from the skyline.

Grady Weed
04-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Robert makes some very good suggestions here. It looks like you will get some great images eventually. Keep after these bad boys and please keep posting.

Steve Canuel
04-22-2008, 09:53 PM
David,
I like the panoramic view you've captured. Were these guys part of the NMHP ranch? I got a few decent pics driving down NM14 on occasion.
Steve

david cramer
04-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Robert, Grady, and Steve.

Robert - taken with D300 + 80-400 at f/8 1/1000. These particular horses are very skittish, and only way I could get a decent shot was to use an arroyo to approach them. Once I poked my head up and clicked the shutter, they were showing me tail. I agree the skyline intersecting their heads isn't the best composition. Some wild horses are less skittish, and will often give me time to make a better comp. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Steve - These horses are not part of a NMHP preserve. I've photographed alot for them, including the Campbell Ranch location on NM14. These guys roam north of my town of Placitas.

Robert Amoruso
04-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the info David. You did what you could with them so good reflexes to get an image other then the back-end. :) I know how that is; if back-end images of birds were the fad, I'd be famous. :) :)

BTW: I like your avatar image.

Van Hilliard
04-24-2008, 07:23 AM
I think the critiques above are excellent. Your own observation about contrast is right on target as is the idea of capturing the horses in such a way that they stand out against the background while at the same time giving clear information about the environment. That aspect of the photo is handled beautifully.