PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing Owl

Michael Libbe
09-07-2012, 08:09 PM
I was fortunate to find a family of burrowing owls in June. I love the intense look in their eyes. While I don't like the perch at all, the fence line and posts were the only perches anywhere near the burrow. The adults would perch on the posts and scan the flat grassy field waiting for breakfast or keeping an eye out for danger. The owls were very cooperative and allowed me to photograph them from outside the car for well over an hour.

Please advise if the perch is too much "hand of man".

All comments are welcome.

Canon 50D
Canon 500mm f4L + 1.4TC
f11
1/400 sec
ISO 400
manual
tripod mounted
morning light, 30-90 minutes after sunrise

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-07-2012, 08:34 PM
A stunning owl for sure!
That's a super clean BG which I enjoy a lot. Killer looking bird and stare. I wish for a more natural perch.

Dave Leroy
09-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Lovely pose, bg and composition. Killer stare and good for you to get it. Agree that a more natural perch would have added to the photo. It also seems a bit too bright for me. It must have been tempting to find an old stick or something natural to tie off on the metal post.

Hayath Mohammed
09-08-2012, 12:01 AM
The light, eye contact and bokeh work really well
Well for the artificial perch...that is what will make you go back :)

Miguel Palaviccini
09-08-2012, 04:40 AM
The perch doesn't bother me much at all. I think you did a great job with the crop to minimize it but still keep an intriguing composition. I'm not sure if I'm seeing a green cast or if it's just the background making me confused :) Love the clean BG and pose of the owl. Every time I've gone to shoot one, they are always in their burrow.

Michael Libbe
09-08-2012, 10:02 AM
It must have been tempting to find an old stick or something natural to tie off on the metal post.

Dave, I wish it was that easy. This particular burrow is along a mile long fence line. The odds of tying a stick to one post and having the owl pick the same post again might be a little long. Still, I have considered doing that next year when they nest again. I might get lucky!

Thanks all for the comments.

Nancy Bell
09-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Birds indeed will choose a perch that suits their purpose. But you did minimize this one well. Lovely bkgd and a great stare. I agree the whites appear a bit bright.

Sanjeevprakash
09-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Awesome shot of the Owl,Michael.Like the stare and definitely the BG as-well. TFS