PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jay on Poplar Branch

Richard Stern
09-07-2012, 06:36 PM
I haven't visited the site for a while, but by coincidence I was thinking about posting this one, taken this morning, when I saw Gail's excellent image of the same species. Here in NS the Blue Jays start becoming obvious and vocal around the beginning of Sept. So here's another Blue Jay. Taken with my new gear (I'm still a bit undecided about when and how best to use it, but at the moment it's my "go to" gear) - Olympus OM-D EM5 with Panasonic 100-300 M4/3 lens. ISO 1600 (set at Auto, max. 1600), 1/640, f/5.6. Pattern metering. Hand-held.

Shot in Raw, NR, curves, sharpening in LR4, some extraneous branches cloned out.

Thanks for looking,

Richard

Randy Stout
09-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Richard:
Excellent pose from your Jay,well exposed.

The perch, although fairly heavy, works well for me except for the stub by his head.

I am seeing quite a bit of noise throughout the image. Perhaps 1600 is too much for this rig? Also could have been aggravated if you had to bring the exposure up.

Will be curious to see how you like the OM-D as you gain more experience with it.

Cheers

Randy

Michael Libbe
09-07-2012, 08:11 PM
I love the Jay! The pose, exposure and details are all very nice. I also noticed the noise and the stub on the branch. He is a beautiful bird!

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Nice species that I would love to see some day. I like the pose and perch but I find the image too noisy.

Richard Stern
09-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks,

I suspect I may have missed some areas out when running NoiseNinja, particularly in the background - I must be more careful! I plan on posting more OM-D images. According to most of the online reviews I should be able to get up to 1600 with very little noise. I'll have to see if that's the case.

Richard

Miguel Palaviccini
09-08-2012, 04:35 AM
Very nice pose on the Blue Jay. It is a bit noisy, but nothing you can't handle in post. The second perch by the tail is a bit distracting. Not sure if you could have moved around behind the camera to make this go away.

Satish Ranadive
09-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Excellent image of Blue Jay. Love the pose,beautiful colors and details.

Regards,
Satish.

Karl Egressy
09-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Nice image, excellent pose.