PDA

View Full Version : Cape Cross Fur Seal Pup

Rachel Hollander
09-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Anette had asked me if I went to the Cape Cross Fur Seal Colony while I was in Namibia. I did and here's one of the images. Unfortunately you have to stay on the elevated boardwalk so pov wasn't always as low as I'd like. The ever present Namibian mist made conditions seem overcast.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 145mm
1/250
f7.1
ISO 400
EC +1
HH from boardwalk, slight crop for comp, levels, contrast and selective color adjustments, selective NR on bg and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Ken Watkins
09-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Rachel,

Firstly how was the smell?

I have not been there for many years and they certainly did not have an elevated boardwalk back then, but given the increasing number of tourists it is probably better than having people approach too close.

What I like most about this image is the sly look the seal is giving you, the fur looks a little "crunchy" but I am sure that is how it is.

Steve Canuel
09-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Good looking seal and a nice, simple composition. Detail and color looks good, fur looks sharp but not overdone to my eye.

Ignacio Yufera
09-07-2012, 02:16 AM
I wouldn't have noticed an elevated POV if you hadn't mentioned it, looks fine to me. I really like the nonchalant pose, the clean comp and the fur detail.

Arthur Morris
09-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Nicely done. I would have commented on your being too high :). Did you do the traditional sand dunes/landscape stuff too?

Rachel Hollander
09-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks all for the kind comments. Ken - the smell and noise were a bit overpowering. Artie - yes, I did do some of the traditional landscapes and have posted a few in the Landscape Forum already with more to come.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
09-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Ken - the smell and noise were a bit overpowering.

Thank goodness that has not changed:w3

Arthur Morris
09-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks Rache. I will have to get over there, to Landscapes I mean :).

Steve Kaluski
09-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Hi Rachel, without know how high the elevated boardwalk was, I just get the impression you took this standing up. I think even lying down would not have helped to reduce things, plus the traffic of other people you would not be popular, and I guess you would get addition things in the BKG too? If you have it, I personally would prefer a little more space to the left and below, if not, then a sliver off the top to balance things, but just my take. Nicely processed, colours look good and the blacks/shadows look well controlled with detail. With this image did you revise any sharpening, or is this as you normally process the file after our discussion yesterday?

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
09-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks Steve. Elevation of the boardwalk actually varies depending on side and how much sand is below. I did try to get as low as I could within the parameters of the elevated walk. After our discussion yesterday I dropped the opacity of the sharpening action to 40%. I think it may be that I have to modify my workflow a bit because the 5D3 and 70-200 II are producing sharper results.

Thanks,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
09-07-2012, 11:19 AM
I think it may be that I have to modify my workflow a bit because the 5D3 and 70-200 II are producing sharper results.

Cool, I think you will find that as you progress, your ability grows and the update of new kit requires you to constantly honing your Workflow and both you and your images will grow. :5 I am certainly finding that with updates to Software, the 1Dx and, what I learn from others.

Marina Scarr
09-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Delightful animal and capture. I love the pose and all the details in the fur. If you have it, I would agree to a tad more room left and bottom.

Rachel Hollander
09-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks Marina, I have to check if I have more room.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Detail is amazing and the pose is sweet. I too would like to see a little more room on the left

Anette Mossbacher
09-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Hi Rachel,

thanks for the details what I will expect. Guess some tourists need to lift their legs passing me :tinysmile_shy_t:
Nicely done your image, like it much, I agree with Cheryl.

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
09-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks Cheryl and Anette. I've got a bit more room to the left but no more below.