PDA

View Full Version : Vervet having a snack

BenBotha
09-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Canon 7D
Canon 500 F4 IS

Arthur Morris
09-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Love the sharpness and the textures and the soft light and the behavior. Bad on you for clipping the strand in the monkeys right hand. See "Leaf Too Long" here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/09/05/leaf-too-long-confessions-of-an-edge-freak/).

Rachel Hollander
09-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Ben - great detail, dof and sharpness. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Marina Scarr
09-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Lovely details in all the fur, good exposure and nice and sharp on the face as well as the hands. If you could please provide your settings for the pictures you post it would be helpful to those giving critiques. Another option would be to go a little wider on this one if you have the canvas to get the entire strip of food in the frame near the bottom. This monkey looks so relaxed and contented.

Ken Watkins
09-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Ben,

I like this a lot the details are great where they need to be, the clipping of the whatever it is (strip of bark?) is a minor error, but relatively easily to fix.

Here is a re-post with some fine cloning, I have also "warmed" it up a little, and toned down the whites in the snack.

ooking at this again after posting I am now wondering whether a slight reduction in blues might be necessary?

BenBotha
09-07-2012, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. All are appreciated. Sorry about the stats, I forgot to enter the rest, will add it later.

Ben

Steve Kaluski
09-07-2012, 03:16 AM
Hi Ben, I would also look to opening the face up and shadow areas to help bring out more detail contained within the image. Then using a simple mask, reducing the exposure/highlight of the 'grasses (?)' a fraction, so they are not so bright, not much, just a fraction.

Also for the future, please can you also add the SS, aperture, ISO etc, (EXIF data), to the initial thread intro, as it helps for further feedback. If you can, add it to this posting, or, if you send it, I can add it in for you. :S3: In addition, the file is not sRGB, therefore you might just like to check your setting to ensure the image is portrayed to it best capacity for the future.

TFS
Steve

Sorry Ben, just saw your comment about the 'stats', so ignore my comment about that. cheers. :w3

Ken Watkins
09-07-2012, 05:01 AM
Ben.

It is self evident that this was shot in shadow conditions and that is what makes it so nice for my taste, there is plenty enough detail allready at least for me.

I will be interested to hear what your thoughts are.

BenBotha
09-07-2012, 05:45 AM
Thanks again for the feedback.

The shot was taken in shadow and overcast conditions. I am using a new laptop, so any comments Re setup are appreciated. The "grasses" is part of a Strelitzia flower and is pure white. The sRGB setting has "disappeared" on the new laptop-will fix that.

Ben

Ken Watkins
09-07-2012, 06:03 AM
Ben,
Thanks for the further info, I wonder what Strelitzia (Bird of Paradise Plant) tastes like?

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Love the behavior and repost on the leaf is better although I may have cut it just a little more

Morkel Erasmus
09-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Nice behaviour here Ben. Repost is better but I would go a bit more in extracting detail from the face/eyes.
Nice exposure overall...