PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Lesser Yellowleg.

Karl Egressy
09-06-2012, 02:04 PM
I took this picture this morning. The weather was kind of foggy and the water wasn't lit by the sun yet.
It came out retty cold so I warmed the image up a bit, maybe too much. What do you think?
Also I cleaned up some bright spots from the water.
Thanks for looking.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/500
Av 7.1
ISO 800
EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x

gail bisson
09-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Hi Karl,
I love the wing pose and the vertical comp.
I really like the grey and green colors of the water .
I see a purple/magenta cast on the wings. Should be an easy fix for you,
Gail

Miguel Palaviccini
09-06-2012, 02:12 PM
I think you nailed the timing! Would have been nice to get a tad lower to removed even more of the water 'blemishes', although it's stunning as is right now.

Karl Egressy
09-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Hi Karl,
I love the wing pose and the vertical comp.
I really like the grey and green colors of the water .
I see a purple/magenta cast on the wings. Should be an easy fix for you,
Gail

Thanks Gail.
I already did all I new before and some other I learned from Danel in order to reduce or get rid off the magenta cast.
I also noticed that there is some green cast on the breast.
The truth is that sometimes when you don't have the direct light on the bird, it picks up all kind of casts from the sorrounding.
I just had a Green Heron picture on the other day and the beak was blue.
I'll try to do some more but no garantee.

Michael Libbe
09-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Indeed great timing! Love the extended wings and head angle. The water and background are nice too. I might try to blend out the shadow behind the wing and the white spot under the bill, but a terrific image as is.

Jonathan Ashton
09-06-2012, 05:06 PM
I like the shot and the super timing the underside of the wing provides interesting detail. I too noticed a slight cast. I do not think the image is for one minute over exposed but I would suggest lowering the highlights just a little. I think the muted colours of the background compliment the portrait very well indeed.

jack williamson
09-06-2012, 05:12 PM
I like all of the colors in this, the BG is awesome as is the pose of the bird.

Jack

Dave Leroy
09-06-2012, 05:17 PM
An excellent pose and composition. Very well done. Lovely bg. I know it is pain and not always done but I would clean up some of the specks with such a nice photo.

Alan Murphy
09-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Karl, that's really nice.

Kaustubh Deshpande
09-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Karl, absolutely awesome wing position. and incredible considering the SS you had. takes this one a few nothces up. loved the vertical comp as well. perfect shooting angle. A bit on the warmer side. I agree it is challenging to remove cast in this situation.

Karl Egressy
09-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Thank you all. I did some footwork in PP in order to fix the colour cast. Here is the newer version, with less colour cast.

Karl Egressy
09-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Thank you all. I did some footwork in PP in order to fix the colour cast. Here is the newer version, with less colour cast.

Arthur Morris
09-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I took this picture this morning. The weather was kind of foggy and the water wasn't lit by the sun yet.

Neither was the bird!

Arthur Morris
09-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Exactly where would that be Karl ? Looks as if you forgot to attach, something that I do often. :)

dankearl
09-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Very nice Karl and the repost addresses the color fix very nicely.

Karl Egressy
09-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Exactly where would that be Karl ? Looks as if you forgot to attach, something that I do often. :)

Thanks Artie. Just one up. By accident, I attached the rework twice. I tried to delete the second, identical one but did not know how. So I deleted the bird only.
If you go up one post, you'll find the bird.
By the way, good observation, regarding the light (Sun).
By the time it started shining on the water, and the birders came, the birds were goe furter in, away from us.
I'm glad I woke up early and drove in the dark to get there in time. (Never found the celebrity birds: White-rumped Sandpiper and Red Kot.)

Arthur Morris
09-06-2012, 07:17 PM

Still way too YELLOW... Ran an Average Blur Color Balance plus WHITE NEUTRALIZER in NIK plus Detail Extractor and Tonal Contrast. And then pulled the Curve down a bit. All IMHO :)

Karl Egressy
09-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Still way too YELLOW... Ran an Average Blur Color Balance plus WHITE NEUTRALIZER in NIK plus Detail Extractor and Tonal Contrast. And then pulled the Curve down a bit. All IMHO :)

Thanks Artie. Looks very nice. I used a whole bunch of tools yo get rid of the colour casts, being magenta and some green.
The yellow was created when I decided to warm it up by re-opening it in Lightroom 4 and moved the slider to about +16, maybe too much.

Arthur Morris
09-06-2012, 07:28 PM
By the time it started shining on the water, and the birders came, the birds were goe furter in, away from us.

Funny how that usually works. We, the bird photographers, are supposed to be the criminals, but when the birders show up acting as if they were in the supermarket and late for dinner the birds often move very far away or simply leave town :).

Arthur Morris
09-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks Artie. Looks very nice. I used a whole bunch of tools yo get rid of the colour casts, being magenta and some green. The yellow was created when I decided to warm it up by re-opening it in Lightroom 4 and moved the slider to about +16, maybe too much.

Much too much for me. I prefer the more neutral version here.

Jack Breakfast
09-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Lovely shot, Karl...my personal preference would be something in between your original post and Mr Morris' repost. Regardless of what the bird is supposed to look like, I prefer the warmer look here, but not so warm as you first presented it. Great work...nice bird...sorry about the birders...birders are akin to a non-malignant but still pestering pain in my posterior...always and forever...

Ken Watkins
09-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Firstly I am not familiar with this bird so find it hard to comment accurately on the colours, but I do believe that the OP appears to have a slight magenta cast. Your re-post has gone a little too far the other way, I think however that the great pose is worthy of another visitation to try and find a happy median

Shawn Zierman
09-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Love the pose Karl, not an easy thing to be ready for.
I get easily confused with correcting color casts and or
seeing color casts sometimes. There is some good food
for thought in this post...I will try and digest....

Fernando Cerra
09-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Your original post is still a little cold, but I think is perfect the way it looks.