PDA

View Full Version : Can get a Canon Mk IV used as back up camera with 75000 exposures

Anette Mossbacher
09-06-2012, 01:21 PM
I can get a Canon Mk IV, used as a backup camera with 75000 exposures.
What are your thoughts on the camera itself, experiences, well just all you have to say. Shot at me. :wave:

Thanks a lot

Anette

arash_hazeghi
09-06-2012, 01:39 PM
What are your specific questions about 1D4 Anette?

Anette Mossbacher
09-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Well, is it any worth to get a used camera with 75000 exposures ?
Had anyone problems with it, especially AF ?
For what do I need to look out when buying a used camera, like this one ?
Never bought a used one, but need a backup for my next trip, the 1 Dx is no option right now, not enough money in the kiddie bank, sadly.

arash_hazeghi
09-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Well, is it any worth to get a used camera with 75000 exposures ?

depends on the condition, the shutter is rated for 300K but if the camera was abused it may fail earlier.

Had anyone problems with it, especially AF ?

There are no issues with a 1D4. unless the camera is defective.

For what do I need to look out when buying a used camera, like this one ?
Never bought a used one, but need a backup for my next trip, the 1 Dx is no option right now, not enough money in the kiddie bank, sadly.

You need to test the camera's various function and make sure it works before paying for it. It's like buying any other used item...take some RAW files and inspect closely on your computer, test the high-speed drive, check AF, battery, finder etc.

Grant Atkinson
09-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Hi Anette
My own 1Dmk4 has been the best wildlife camera body I have owned, and it really is an excellent camera for wildlife. As long as the one you are looking at seems in decent condition, I am sure you won't look back. That camera has a great combination of very good autofocus, very good image quality up to medium high iso ranges, fast frame rate and the benefit for many wildlife photographers of the APS-H sized sensor with decent 16mp resolution.
What camera body are you upgrading from now?
cheers
Grant

Jason Holzworth
09-06-2012, 11:19 PM
the shutter can go at any time. i had a new 1ds iii blow at around 2500 exposures.

for what it's worth, one of my mk iv's has been through a lot, has 120,000 exposures and is still running strong.

I wouldn't let the shutter play a role in my camera purchase especially if it is a good deal.

Anette Mossbacher
09-07-2012, 01:23 AM
Thanks so much for all your help and info.

The Mk IV sounds great for me. Might should go that road. Here are some thoughts of mine, would be great to hear yours.

Right now I have a Mark III, I am very pleased with it, especially for Wildlife, but lately as well with Landscape. I am looking for a backup (for my upcoming trip), my Mark III has around 100 000 - 120 000 exposures already. My old backup I have sold recently, was to old and I wasn't so much happy with.
By now I found the Mark IV with 7000 exposures for the same price as the one with 75000, so I would go for the one with 7000 of course and use that one for my prime.
I actually just need a backup camera for my upcoming trip to Namibia. I was looking into the 5D Mark III for Landscape with it's decent 6 exposures per second, which I think can be used for Wildlife as well, here and there.
But further away I badly look into the 1Dx, which I cannot afford right now.
My thought was getting the Mk IV, get after the trip rid of my Mk III, save more money for the 1Dx for next year.

Other solution, buying the 5D Mark III, get rid of that one after the trip, don't loose to much money, less than renting one. And save money for the 1Dx. I had the 1Dx for testing and man what a bliss.
But now I am just looking for a cost effective solution for my trip.
The Mk IV sounds great to me with 7000 exp.

What do you all think. I am happy to hear any suggestions for my writing above. Maybe I think wrong with all that what I have in my mind for a backup ...etc. Maybe some more are out there who did this or that and have more experience. Also, I never bought a used camera before, so I am a bit hesitating with this. The Mk IV I have seen with 7000, that person lives just around the corner. I will check if I can have a look and test.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions, I highly appreciate it.

Ken Watkins
09-07-2012, 01:30 AM
Anette,
I have used a MkIV since it came out it is a great camera, my second body was a MkIII also a great camera which I certainly had no AF problems with.

I now have a 1DX and a MkIV as my second body.

I would certainly have no hesitation in buying the MkIV, the combination would be great!

Anette Mossbacher
09-07-2012, 01:44 AM
Hi Ken,
thanks so much for your fast response. I already send a message to this person with the MkIV, if I can have a look. Will see with what he/she comes up with.
Hopefully I find a few scratches to push the price a bit :bg3:

Well, I think that would be a good solution too, but I better make sure with all others here, as they are all so helpful, before I regret any move on this.

Thanks again Ken, it is highly appreciated. Envy you too for your 1Dx :tinysmile_shy_t:

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
09-07-2012, 02:44 AM
Hi Anette, looks like you got the responses you wanted/looking for, all based with good experience too. Nice to see Grant chiming in too, cheers.

Is it 75000 or 7000 exp????

If you decide to go for it and need help setting it up, shoot me a line, but it's a breeze, 1DX can take a little more time, lets do that next year. :bg3:

Those 'Milka bars' are certainly stacking up, good luck.

Steve

Anette Mossbacher
09-07-2012, 03:14 AM
Hi Steve,

found 2 Mk IV, one has 7000exp. just sitting around the corner here from my place. The other one has 75000exp, which I do not even ask, unless he/she would go down another 400 CHF.
Found by now as well one with around 4500exp. but a bit more expensive. I think with the 7000exp I would go just fine. 2000exp more or less is peanuts in my eyes.
Well, will see what this person sends me back for my questions and that I'd like to see it first, before putting down my number to buy. So far no reply. For sure I try my luck to get it.

Steve, I have already a box for your Milk Bars sitting here. I buy them over the border in Germany, there are much cheaper over there :bg3:
That doesn't mean that I get cheap stuff for you, it is just the same what I can buy in Swissyland, but I really do not want to boost a bit the Supermarket chains here, as I think they are insane :2eyes2:
We are starving, when I see their prices. Have put my family on diet, including our dog face :tinysmile_shy_t: :bg3: Only when I go shopping :w3

Ciao
Anette

brian simpson
09-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Hi Anetta I would not hesitate to buy a 1D4 it is a excellent camera. I wouldnt worry to much about shutter count. The whole assembly can be changed for about 600$ ..I would buy the one that looks the best and or the one around the corner from where you live...With the huge price of a 1DX the mark 4 may hold a good price for a long time...look at how the price of used 500mm went up 1000$ after the new expensive ones came out... good luck

Anette Mossbacher
09-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Hi Brian,

thanks so much for your Info. I got another one offered which I grab. I go there on Monday to make the down payment, take a look, test it, rest follows the week after when the camera is available for me. :bg3:
Changing the whole assembly for 600$ is here in Swissyland probably for 800-1000 CHF, but would be fine. I will keep this in mind when I need it :w3
That one I have been offered is even quite cheaper than the other two I have found :cheers:
Lucky me, all odds have been with me.
I assume that I can close now this thread, problem solved, shopped and in 10 days it will be mine :t3
Looking very very VERY much forward to this black box and it's inside. Will bring it first to the CPS Service for all this and that :eek3:
After that I run around our forest to test it, before I take off to Africa :S3:

Thanks a lot again brian and all others with their helpful info

have a great weekend

Ciao
Anette

Lorant Voros
09-08-2012, 02:56 PM
One more vote to get the MKIV. You will have to take one charger to Namibia and you will not want to change lenses on the same body two often...it is dusty over there:). The MKIV is great for everything from wildlife to birds ( as you can see many posts on BPN)and the MKIII can serve as a back up. I recently got a MKIV from a BPN member and im very happy with it. Use it mainly for bird photography.The 1DX seems to be a great camera, but it is hard to get and cost a lot.
Good luck and have a nice trip.

Anette Mossbacher
09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks a lot Lorant :bg3: