PDA

View Full Version : Black Rhino ISO 6400 reworked

Andreas Liedmann
09-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Reworked this image , what i posted already some weeks ago.This time a different approach, much softer than last version.At least to my eyes.
So would be interesting what you guys think.
Appreciate your comments , how i can still improve the image, or just leave it as is.?!

EOS 1D MK IV
EF 500 IS L
window bracket

F8 / 1/800sec / ISO 6400

cropped to 60% of FF

Processed in RAW PHOTO PROCESSOR and PS.

Cheers Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
09-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Here is a large crop of 35% of FF

Would do you think of this one , mainly like to know about the IQ.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
09-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Hi Andreas, for those that might not have seen the original, or would like to refer to it

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/101383-Black-Rhino-ISO-6400

Andreas Liedmann
09-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Hey Steve, thank you for adding the link, had no idea how to do it.
Andreas

Steve Kaluski
09-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Hi Andreas, unless I have the wrong link, the images are not quite the same, however I guess you re looking more at the PP than anything else? If so, I wonder if this also needs to be in Digital Workflow?

BTW If you go back to your OP, open it, copy the www. banner text you can then post it into the post or thread.

Firstly I'm viewing them 100%, FF one above the other on a black screen.

- Personally I like the image coming in from the RHS
- The warmer tones are perhaps better and gives more impression of a later part of the day, all subjective. Likewise the environment has more depth/substance to it, tone & colour
- Size of subject within frame, happy in both images
- The new one has more 'form' to it, as the skin is more defined/textured around/over the body. Have you have added more 'contrast or a B/W channel layer...' to enhance this?
- Think the front leg in shadow could be opened up a fraction more
- Better detail also in the face
- High ISO, more controlled within the overall image

Saying that, the other OP does have some nice qualities within the subject and the hip/rear has some lovely soft shadow work defining the body, and texture in the leg too which is lost in the new RP.

Personally for me, the image has to be the same so you can do a like for like comparison as both images as is, have their own qualities, I trust I have the right link? :e3

Steve

Andreas Liedmann
09-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Steve , firstly thanks for watching.
- just got mixed up, i thought this one was posted - did not check it. sorry for that.
- send this image to you , that is correct.you have seen it already.
- the trick :bg3: with this version is High Pass Layer at a secret :w3 setting with a luminance mask applied.Just learned new. I do really not know, just tried it and it worked here and on other images.
- why do you think it is necessary to open up the front leg shadow, for my eyes no key area!
- in this image , there is not that shadow on the back parts of the rhino due to full light on the body.

- you are 100% right there is no comparison possible.

I like this version 100% percent more, the other one has far worst noise problems, think in here the IQ is quite good compared to the other one.All the camera settings have been the same , image only taken 10 minutes later .
The contrast in the overall image is a better for my eyes , more pleasing i would call it.Other one has quite a rough attempt.

Finally i think my skills in PP , become again a little step better.

Cheers Andreas

Marina Scarr
09-06-2012, 06:48 PM
In comparing the two images, I am liking this one much more for many of the same reasons listed above. Frankly, the large crop held up pretty well too. I love the light in the OP and the animal coming in from the right of the frame. The dust behind the rhino is a nice touch. I like the inclusion of the environment. For ISO 6400, I think you have very nice details here.

Arthur Morris
09-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Did not visit the previous one as I like the color and IQ of the image in Pane 1. Is the dust from its feet while walking?

Rachel Hollander
09-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Andreas - Always nice to see a black rhino. On my recent trip to the Etosha area I only saw them running away from us or at night so no images. I also think this looks better than the prior post but not up to your usual IQ. Steve has summarized very well the qualities of the two images. I always wonder how these high ISO images look in print as opposed to on a computer screen.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
09-07-2012, 02:02 AM
Steve, Andreas, let me help you out here...:w3
THIS is the link you were looking for - same shot:
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/101554-Black-Rhino-ISO-6400-II

I'll take payments in the form of new lenses :bg3:

I see I did not comment on the old thread - sorry about that...:e3

Comparing them quickly side-by-side (though not in PS) this one look much better on the whole...
Detail is good, contrast is good and luminosity is well handled. I do feel you can bump the saturation a tad more to get more from that nice glowing last light, maybe to somewhere halfway between the two posts? The nice light seems lost on the BG in this post, and maybe overdone on the old post...

Your PP is really coming along nicely Andreas. :5

Andrew McLachlan
09-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Hi Andreas, I like this shot a lot. The warm tones are great. Looks like he has lots of old scars about his head.