PDA

View Full Version : Flies are welcome

Anette Mossbacher
09-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Pelican shot in Okavango Delta / Botswana

Color wise, that's how this image came out of my black box. I even desaturated the yellow pouch. Originally it was for me way to shiny and saturated.

My image settings in the 1 D Mark III have been Standard, no contrast, no saturation, not even added sharpening.

In PS I did: Levels, slightly curves ( minimal)
NIK Tonal contrast, but no Saturation applied.
Vivezia added a bit brightness and contrast to both eyes
NIK Polarization for the sky only, was to lush for me.
At the end took out a bit more yellow of the pouch.
No sharpening applied to this Jpeg file.

Camera settings of the 1 D Mark III

ISO 200
f/9
1/640
lens 300 f/2.8 & 2x
handheld :tinysmile_shy_t:

Ken Watkins
09-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Anette,

This is a startling image but I think it belongs in Avian, hopefully one of the moderators can move it, Whilst it is here my main suggestion would be more room at the top.

Steve Kaluski
09-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Hi Anette have move the thread for you in case you wondered. :S3:

Nice bold, strong image, certainly colour wise. Personally I think you could punch up that blue BKG and I would look to using a layer mask to soften the plumage highlights, detail/tones in the birds, however you will get truck loads of advice regarding that on here. I can send you a link from one of the Forums on here to help with that. Nice detail in the eye and top bill. Perhaps dropping the Yellow a fraction in the saturation may help the detail in the pouch? Would watch the halo on the RH side of the neck & wing.

Good to see we have the colour settings & profiles all sorted now, cool.

Enjoy your time, you will learn so much from others on here.

Ciao
Steve

Miguel Palaviccini
09-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Very nice Anette, surprised that there has been no sharpening applied. Looks great!

Kaustubh Deshpande
09-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Beautiful bird and a striking pouch. Good pose and head angle. Angle's a bit steep but not too much. Some sharpening might help. There could have been a slight camera shake.

I am undecided about the second bird though.

Daniel Cadieux
09-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Hi anette, this a visually strong image, and the patterns on the pouch are quite mesmerizing. Exposure looks good. Tech-wise I would have raised the ISO and stop down even more to get the back bird (which I like) sharp too. I'd also prefer a looser composition, which is currently especially tight at top. A fun photograph!