PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Cranes at Sunrise

Miguel Palaviccini
09-06-2012, 10:32 AM
This is one of my favorite images of the cranes. It's straight out of the camera, except for the crop (top and bottom only). If I remember correctly, I made my initial meter reading a certain distance from the sun and adjusted until I got what I liked. Then it was a waiting game. I positioned myself so that I could get the shot of them flying toward the sun and waited for a this shot. I got a quite a few more but I really liked the direct line that they made in this one.

I have tried darkening the silhouettes a little, but it looked unnatural to me.

Nikon d300s | 70-200 VRII + 2.0x
400mm | 1/1250" | f/8.0 | ISO 200
Manual exposure mode | handheld
WB set to 7200 K (between cloudy and shade) for the warm feel.

Comments, critiques, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed.

Stu Bowie
09-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Hi Miguel, firstly, love the graduation of colour from the sun back towards the last crane. Yes, to the straight line of flight from all five cranes, and I agree that creating a silhouette on the cranes would look unnatural, but if you darkened them to the same as the back crane would maybe work. Good choice of crop, only way to go. :w3

Jack Breakfast
09-06-2012, 11:51 AM
I agree with Stuart above: gradually darkening the front four...certainly not to point of silhouette, but darker than they are now? What a lovely shot! Great birds, great sun, great colors!

Karl Egressy
09-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Excellent shot, Miguel. It reminds me to Bosque, New Mexico.
I was wondering if the sun could go a bit darker.

gail bisson
09-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Very unusual image.
I love the gradation of bright to dark.
Good wing position on all the birds. If I were to nitpick I would wish I could see the primary tips in bird #4.
I agree that I would decrease to brightness of the sun a bit,
Gail

Bill Dix
09-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Beautiful color gradation, and pano crop. Great line of birds. It would be interesting to see what effect darkening the front four would have -- sounds like worth trying.

jack williamson
09-06-2012, 05:16 PM
I like it just like it is. Awesome color, well done.

Jack

Kaustubh Deshpande
09-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Nice composition, no overlap, great colors....separation between the birds is also good.

I agree with others that you can do some experimenting with reducing the flare effect. You have a very fine base image here.

Alan Murphy
09-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Love the graduated BG and the cranes. Wish it was mine.

Sanjeevprakash
09-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Miguel,This is beautiful.I like it as is.Great shot.

Arthur Morris
09-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Nicely done. Love the pano approach. Birds #1, 2, and 5 have good wing positions; 3 & 4 are pretty much pancakes which are good for breakfast if you are not a diabetic but not so good for BIF.

Satish Ranadive
09-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Miguel,
Every thing has been said about this excellent image.Love it.

Regards,
Satish.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks for all of the comments.

Carl, Gail - not sure I can do much about the brightness of the sun. It's blown out. If I try to make it darker, won't it just turn grey? Suggestions?

Stuart, Jack, Bill, Kaustubh - I'm going to try darkening the cranes just a tad to see how it comes out. I was thinking of making a selection, feathering it 1-2 px and trying a curves adjustment layer. Then possibly using a layer mask with a gradient from right to left so that the effect isn't even (as I'm not sure that it should be).

Alan - thanks for the compliment!

Arthur - I'm not a fan of pancakes, and I'm not diabetic. :)

Arthur Morris
09-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Miguel. This is a super-difficult situation and there is not a lot that you can do processing wise. If your original capture had been properly exposed for the sun then the sky would have been black..... Voila, no birds then.

Shawn Zierman
09-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Evocative, and certainly one of the nicer images I've seen of this type when the sun is included.
There is an appealing graphic quality to the image and a sweet transition in the oranges from the
sun to the end of the frame on the right hand side. Useage is something to consider here....
If you printed this big, I wonder if the sun would not become overwhelming....viewed at this size,
I think it's OK.

Peter Seidel
09-07-2012, 01:15 PM
The wait paid off - this is really a special image. I don't know if I'd darken some of the cranes as others have suggested. I think I would bring down the sun brightness just a bit.

Pete

Cheryl Arena Molennor
09-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Pretty cool shot and I too love the graduation. For me the light is just a tad bright and I would be tempted to tone down a little by the sun. Great plan and execution.

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Lots of info and good advise here. I like the crop you made here. Birds are forming a nice line and I agree that darkening them would look unnatural but I would give it try anyways.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-10-2012, 09:24 PM
I tried darkening the sun area a bit via the suggestions, but it looked unnatural for my taste. I did however selectively darken the cranes using a levels adj layer. Below is the results. Thanks again for all of the advice!