PDA

View Full Version : View from the dock

Andrew McLachlan
09-05-2012, 07:16 PM
I haven't been around this forum for awhile as I have been very busy with several projects on the go and haven't really had the time to do much in the way of landscape photography either, but here is a recent one photographed with the new Nikon D800.

This is the view from the dock at the cabin on Horseshoe Lake near Parry Sound, Ontario. The view is of the large wetland where I photograph most of my bullfrog images. Under the water is a large, wide spreading weedbed, with plenty of fish, that the Common Loons can often be found feeding their chicks. On this day there was a steady rain falling causing some mist to rise out of the surrounding forest. I cropped some of the top and bottom in this image as I felt it worked better with less water and sky.

I would have liked to include more of the tree on the right but another cabin is too visible, spoiling the view.

Look forward to comments.

Nikon D800
Nikon 80-400mm VR lens @ 160mm
ISO 100
f16 @ 1/8 sec.
Used Live View and zoomed in on the distant Tamarack trees to manually focus on them.

Rachel Hollander
09-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Andrew - well done. There's a tranquility to the image and I like the green-blue tones of the trees through the mist. Comp works well too.

TFS,
Rachel

Mark Wiseman
09-11-2012, 05:02 AM
Hi Andrew,
I like your image. I would remove a sliver off the bottom to make the image into more of a panorama, just below the rocks on the right. The detail from the D800 is amazing with wonderful trees and the misty background.
Best wishes and thank you for sharing,
Mark.

Andrew Aveley
09-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Andrew , I like this very much :) Looking forward to seeing the results of the 'projects'

Robert Amoruso
09-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Though I like the soft look to this image Andrew, I would suggest trying some Local Contrast Enhancement.

Andrew McLachlan
09-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks all for the comments...I'll try out some LCE to see how I like it. Thanks for suggestion.