PDA

View Full Version : Under the Boardwalk

Cheryl Slechta
09-05-2012, 07:03 PM
I know most views of piers are shot looking at the water but I decided to turn around and see what it looked like backwards:S3: It is a one shot image that I tonemapped in Photomatix, then used Viveza to slightly increase the warmth and saturation, then slight Nik Detail Enhancer. I wasn't sure if you would think it is top heavy - I'm conflicted about it.
Thanks for looking. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

denise ippolito
09-05-2012, 08:00 PM
I like it Cheryl, The details look nice, I might take a slice off the bottom if it were mine. Nice to see a different view:S3:.

Hazel Grant
09-05-2012, 08:17 PM
yes, a good "new" view. It might seem top heavy if the sand (cement?) were not so heavy to counteract. nice centered comp.

Mark Fuge
09-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Nice image and application, Cheryl.

There's always two sides to an image. The side we show and the other side. Sometimes the other side is as good or better. Nice you decided to turn around! :w3:5

Dennis Bishop
09-05-2012, 09:13 PM
It doesn't strike me as being top heavy. If you're still unsure about that, though, you might want to try decreasing the brightness and increasing the saturation of the bottom a bit and see if you like it better. I had the same thought as Denise about slicing some off the bottom (for composition and because the bottom isn't as interesting as the other elements in the image).

I really like the strong lines, the colors, and the patina from weathering. The difference in lighting of the underside (reflection from the water beyond the posts???) is a plus. The way the horizontal supports wrap down from the top on the two sides is a great touch, too.

Cheryl Slechta
09-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Thanks everyone for your insight. I tried a crop from the bottom and then tried 2 versions - one with the sand lighter and one with it darker. I'll post the lighter one first and see how it looks.:S3:

Jay Sheinfield
09-06-2012, 07:45 AM
I like the crop, much more 3-d effect in the bridge. Great symmetrical composition.

denise ippolito
09-06-2012, 08:59 AM
I like it better too!

Mitch Carucci
09-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Strong composition. I vote for the original crop.

Arthur Morris
09-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Nice Cheryl. I love the colors and detail and the HDR work. Did you create any from a slightly higher perspective?

Andrew McLachlan
09-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Hi Cheryl, the repost with the crop works better for. I love the HDR processing for this image.