PDA

View Full Version : First winter White-fronted Tern.

Tom Rambaut
09-05-2012, 06:26 PM
1D MK 4, 700mm, 1/1600 @ 5.6, 400ISO.

I was not 100% sure what this was when I took this - but thanks to a seabird person ( there is such a species) I have been informed that it is a White Fronted Tern - I have never photographed this species before. It ws having a preen and shake.

Thanks, Tom

gail bisson
09-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Hi Tom,
Lovely bird.
I like the raised tail and fluffed up feathers. Whites look good.
I find that large OOF rock on the left very distracting. Could you have been higher?
Gail

Tom Rambaut
09-05-2012, 06:58 PM
I proberbly could have gone higher but the movement woud have set them off - this one landed after I had set up and sat down. The bird I had set up for, with the clear line of site would not turn around so I took an image of this one.

Melissa Groo
09-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Nice shake position and great control of the whites, Tom. Gail has a point that those out of focus rocks are distracting. Still a nice portrait.

Miguel Palaviccini
09-05-2012, 07:46 PM
I agree, very nice details in the whites (although a bit bright). The oof spot in the foreground is distracting, but it sounds like there wasn't much you could do.

Tom Rambaut
09-05-2012, 09:48 PM
I proberbly could have gone higher but the movement woud have set them off - this one landed after I had set up and sat down. The bird I had set up for, with the clear line of site would not turn around so I took an image of this one.

Try 'sight'!

Daniel Cadieux
09-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Congrats on a new species to photograph! The tern looks great, as does the ground it is standing on. I agree that large OOF part is unfortunate. Short of risking spooking the bird not much you could do...

Robert Holguin
09-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Wonderful shot. Excellent pose and details. Exposed very well and I personally dont find the oof rocks to be a problem. Since the bird is white I thinks it keeps your eye on the bird.
Well done.